Posted to uk.d-i-y
T i m T i m is offline

Default Garage doors for maximum height

On Sat, 2 Feb 2019 17:25:21 +0000, Chris Green wrote:

snip

Has anyone ever converted an up-and-over to hinges?

Nearly. I converted an up-and-over *doorway* to one with hinges by
making a new frame from angle and a tri-fold door set from box section
steel and steel sheet for the infill.

The main 'frame' was just the sides and the top (with some lighter
stuff across the bottom), made from 100 x 100 x 10mm steel angle and
so it only intruded into the opening by 10mm on the height (the lower
frame is recessed into the ground). The right hand door pair fold to
the right and that leaves me a personal door on the left to keep the
heat in if I'm working in there. ;-)

It wasn't a particularly 'easy' project but it works very well for my
needs.

Cheers, T i m

p.s. the up-and-over door my pre-fab-concrete garage came with was 8'
square and because so I only need just over 6' (6' 6") for the
personal door I put a bar across at that height and some skylights
above (one fixed, two opening). I did consider making that hinge up
from the bottom to give me the full height but as I have things
suspended from the roof (like material stock and folding boats) there
probably wouldn't be much point. ;-)