Posted to alt.home.repair
Frank[_24_] Frank[_24_] is offline

Default Best glue for bonding plastic to plastic?

On 1/29/2019 3:05 PM, wrote:
On 1/29/19 2:41 PM, Bod wrote:
On 29/01/2019 19:30, Bod wrote:
On 29/01/2019 19:15, Rod Speed wrote:

"Bod" wrote in message
On 29/01/2019 17:15, Frank wrote:
On 1/29/2019 11:58 AM, wrote:
My 27" Barbie dolls arm is broken off and I have tried hot glue
gun and e6000.Â* Neither worked.Â* It is hard plastic.Â* How can I
fix? I have photos but don't know to upload to here.

Google says plastic is PVC so a glue for PVC should work.

It's not quite as simple as that.

There are seven types of plastic:

Polyethylene Terephthalate (PETE or PET)
High-Density Polyethylene (HDPE)
Polyvinyl Chloride (PVC)
Low-Density Polyethylene (LDPE)
Polypropylene (PP)
Polystyrene or Styrofoam (PS)

There's a lot more than that.
Â*
Â* Name them!

Â* Here's a cite:

https://www.qualitylogoproducts.com/...of-plastic.htm

Per Wikipedia cite, "A modern Barbie doll has a body made from ABS
plastic, while the head is made from soft PVC.[59][60]"

I just took it from a quick google search so you must be correct. Both
ABS and PVC are easy to bond and same cements would probably work for
both as solvents are similar. We had this discussion on PVC and CPVC and
it was agreed the best glue to use would be one designed for it whereas
others could be adequate. The toughest polymers to bond listed here are
PET the PE's and PP.

There are a hell of a lot more commercial polymers not listed above and
bonding conditions are different.