Old September 3rd 11, 05:05 AM posted to alt.home.repair

Default Best glue for bonding plastic to plastic?

On Fri, 2 Sep 2011 18:30:36 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

I was reading on this page:

http://www.technologystudent.com/equip1/glueplas1.htm

And it mentions 5 different types of glues for gluing plastic
together.

Tensol Cement, Contact adhesive, Epoxy, Super Glue, or A glue gun.

I've never had much luck using Super Glue so I would lean towards one
of the other glues. I think a glue gun might be the same as epoxy,
but now really sure about that.

Contact adhesive seems like a good choice based on what I read but I
have no experience using it.

I would appreciate any suggestions for the best glue for my job.

Thanks in advance,
Steve

First, let me say that the advice I am about to give is worth every
penny you are paying for it.

Hot glue is definitely NOT the same as epoxy.

The type of glue you need is dependant on what type of plastic you are
trying to repair. One glue that works great with, for example,
styrene, may work only marginally with PVC. Therefore, without
knowing what type of plastic the item is made of we would have no idea
what glue would be the best for the application.

Good luck.

Old September 3rd 11, 09:52 AM posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I have NEVER had any joy gluing plastic that was structural in
application. If the glue joint (properly cured) didn't break first time
stress was put on it, it broke right next to it for the same reasons it
broke in the first place. IMHO, the joint needs a splint, like by
heating up a skinny nail and shoving it through both pieces, or finding
some other way to reinforce it. The break point sounds like a stress
point. OP, can you post pictures someplace with a link back here? If we
can see it, we can make better suggestions.

--
aem sends...
Old September 3rd 11, 10:48 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Gordon Shumway wrote in news
wrote:

[...]

don't forget construction adhesive,like Liquid Nails.
it bonds to some plastics.

contact adhesive probably would make the best bond,generally speaking.
3M makes this brown rubber adhesive in a tube,it bonds well to a lot of
plastics,but I can't recall specifically which one it is.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik