Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default need to power cycle modem remotely

On 27/01/2019 22:34, Dave Liquorice wrote:
On Sun, 27 Jan 2019 20:02:45 +0000, Bill Wright wrote:

I need to remotely power cycle the modem now and then.

Why?

If it's fallen over and lost the link you won't be able to remotely
do anything.

But a local device running if this then that could when no longer able
to ping the outside world force power cycling of the router.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Belkin-F7C0...dp/B009SA9Z6S/

Other brands are available.

If a bad line or noise has knocked the speed down ADSL2+ recovers
quite quickly on it's own (unlike ADSL which can take up to 72
hours).

If the modem and/or DSLAM has got it's knickers in a twist over the
required signal to noise level a reboot won't affect that. You need
to start the 10 day training period, this instruction has to come
from your ISP most like as a result of you calling/emailing support
or via a webpage on your account details.

From time to time I have found mine gets into a state where the noise
margin in one direction is "0" but it still thinks it has valid sync. It
is a bit annoying that the error seconds visibly count up in realtime
but the thing isn't smart enough to reboot itself. My line does have
some issues being a rural overhead one with trees and an underground
section that is quite often flooded.

The last is the only one that occurs here. The modem stays up until
either there is a power cut long enough for the UPS to flatten it's
batteries or I switch it off to do "maintenance".

Personally I'd VPN into the home network and access the devices web
interface over that to restart the link or reboot the device. Then
sit nervously waiting for it to come back up...

That won't work if the outside world has vanished. The reason for
wanting to do it is that the router has stopped routing.

A crude time clock to cycle the power at 1am is the cheapest option.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown