Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andrew[_22_] Andrew[_22_] is offline

Default need to power cycle modem remotely

On 28/01/2019 13:42, charles wrote:
In article ,
Bill Wright wrote:
Like a lot of other people with CCTV that can be viewed over the
internet, I need to remotely power cycle the modem now and then. Ideas?

Could your problem be caused by sudden dips in the mains voltage (brown
outs)? I often used to find that my modem needed a power reset in the
morning. I bought a UPS and fed the modem from that - problem solved.

+1

I run my fridge with a Smiths electronic timer since the electro-mech.
thermostat failed (don't ask).

Every 3 to 4 days all the settings would be lost and it would not run.
The time that this event occurred was randomly through the day,
sometimes occurring many hours before I realised.

Eventually I plugged the Smiths timer into an ex BT surge protector
that came out of a redundant exchange. It has never lost its settings
since.

Quite what this surge protector is filtering out I cannot say. Would
other peoples baby alarms or mains ethernet adapters affect it ?.

My Smiths electronic immersion heater timer never loses its settings
but it is UK made, while the 3-pin plug in variety is Chinese.