Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andrew[_22_] Andrew[_22_] is offline

Default need to power cycle modem remotely

On 28/01/2019 10:13, Jethro_uk wrote:
On Sun, 27 Jan 2019 20:02:45 +0000, Bill Wright wrote:

Like a lot of other people with CCTV that can be viewed over the
internet, I need to remotely power cycle the modem now and then. Ideas?

Bill

Do you need to reboot at will, or are you finding that long periods
without use lead to something "jamming up" ?

I had the latter problem with a WiFi HP scanner/printer - it really
didn't like being left alone for long periods, and went into a "power
save" mode, which anecdata from the internet suggested was code for "off".

Rather than dick about trawling loads of half-posts everywhere (most of
which suggested it wasn't fixable) I just put a mechanical segment timer
on it, and it power cycles around 3am every day.

Been fine for a few months now.

These wireless doo-dahs are all very well, but I have to admit, I'm loath
to trust them.

Err, if you are going to do that, it will then go through its power up
test and nozzle cleaning routine. In which case, why not just switch it
off when you aren't using it ?.