Posted to uk.d-i-y
Paul Welsh Paul Welsh is offline

Default need to power cycle modem remotely

On 27/01/2019 22:53, Steve Walker wrote:
On 27/01/2019 21:55, Andy Burns wrote:
Bob Eager wrote:

Bill Wright wrote:

Like a lot of other people with CCTV that can be viewed over the
internet, I need to remotely power cycle the modem now and then. Ideas?

USB operated relays are readily available, and they handle mains.
Or use one of the SONOFF switches - see eBay - that work from an app
(can
be hacked to have a webserver instead).

Presumably the need to reboot the modem is because the internet
connection is up the spout when Bill wants to view his CCTV from afar?
So something that can reboot the modem e.g. via SMS would be more
helpful?

Stick a Raspberry Pi with a relay onto the network. Ping an outside
address once every minute andÂ* if nothing is returned for 5 consecutive
minutes, use the relay to power cycle the modem/router.

That is a good answer. Heartbeats are a reliable technique to ensure
server availability.

The thing that wasn't obvious to me is the relay mains switch, easy to
wire it up, but I don't know how to enclose it safely. I can do a home
made box and sticky tape but is there anything more professional?

Even the ready made wifi devices like Sonoff are not something I would
want lying around, in the open, if they were using main power.