Chris Lewis

Default plastic or copper plumbing?

According to Gary Slusser :

Chris, are you pulling these
opinions outta yer ear, where do you get your potable water quality issues

I get this for agreeing with you? Sheesh.

information from?

You may be taking my comments a little more overbroadly.

Yes, of course copper in high enough concentrations is toxic to just about
everything.

My comment that may have _seemed_ to the contrary was merely to point out
that copper toxicity varies widely through the plant and animal kingdom.
Copper dosages that would kill some lifeforms won't touch others.

For example, copper is the active ingredient in many algaecides used in
aquariums. Kills the algae, doesn't hurt the fish. Copper is _much_
more toxic to plants and invertibrates (ie: slugs and snails) than
vertibrates (ie: fish, and us).

Hence the comment that copper is a toxic substrate for most bacteria. Ie:
copper is _less_ likely to support (most types of) bacteria than plastic
is in the same conditions.

Further, copper is also an "essential mineral". There are, for example, vitamin
supplements for people that contain copper. Unlike lead, which is not.

Of course there are limits as to how much copper is permissible in potable
water. There are limits to _everything_ in potable water, toxic or not.

I pride myself in keeping up to date in these sorts of issues. Lead solder,
for example, has been a very big issue for a lot of years. The PB plumbing
class action lawsuit, Al wiring, asbestos, UFFI, CCA etc.

But I don't remember hearing/seeing anything about copper contamination being
a particularly significant concern in routine every day household plumbing.

Hence I ask you (for about the third time), do you have references for this
being a significant issue for ordinary household plumbing?

_Not_ what the limits are. I've found those (including Canada's).

But where someone says that the copper pipe in your house alone (as opposed
to the rest of the water system getting water to your house) is
a significant concern. With some real facts to back them up.
--
Chris Lewis, Una confibula non set est