Posted to rec.woodworking
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Recomendations for power cord "transplant" into a Skilsaw 5150?

On Thursday, January 24, 2019 at 1:34:48 AM UTC-5, pyotr filipivich wrote:
As in "Yes" or "not a good idea"?

I thought I got a great deal on a Skil 5275:05 - nope. Missing
the bolt, etc. Getting replacement parts is a pain. But I've a
"dead" 5150 which I thought could provide parts. Well, sort of.
Then I thought, might be easier to just replace the power cord on
the 5150.
But they don't make those anymore.

So, I'm thinking maybe I could get a "generic"cord and just swap
that. Any ideas?

I just put this on a PC 743 c-saw:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009YESAQE

I also replaced this, which was in way worse shape than the cord itself:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AEUM0L8

One of main differences between OEM cords and non-OEM cords is that the OEM
cord may come with connectors on the end that are used specifically with
the OEM switch, etc.

Obviously, the non-OEM cord should be spec'd at least the same as the OEM one.

The B&D cord I used has the same part number as the PC cord and it matched
exactly except for the ring connectors. The OEM cord protector was as snug
a fit as you would like so as a pair they worked well together.

Another thing to consider is the diameter of the cord. The cord for the PC
is "clamped" to the saw by the 2 piece handle. If the replacement cord had
been too small, it would have been loose. If it had been too big, I would
not have been able to screw the handle back together. In my case, the screws
were used to draw the handle parts together and compress the cord. Since I
didn't want to take a chance of stripping the holes in the plastic handle,
I used clamps to close the handle gap and compress the cord, and then
screwed the screws down tight before removing the clamps.

Perfect fit.