RB

Default plastic or copper plumbing?

Polybutylene pipes don't burst when frozen.

RB

Edwin Pawlowski wrote:
PJx wrote:

I have 3/4 and 1/2 in copper running all over my attic of my 20 year
old home.. About 14 years ago, it got down to sub 10 degree weather
for a few days and busted about 6 different spots on that copper
tubing. Maybe if the copper had been thicker, it wouldn't have
happened. Maybe if it had been bust resistant plastic .....

I still don't know which I would choose.

PJ

Frozen pipes will burst no matter the material. The force of expanding
frozen water is incredible. Last winter one of our building had a bad
freeze and iron pipe split, as did the copper. I don't think plastic would
be any better.

I'm just not sure about the very long term results with plastics. I'm
talking 30 or 50 years that copper will hold up under.