Posted to sci.electronics.repair
gregz gregz is offline

Default WD-40 to clean electric contacts?

" wrote:
On Tuesday, January 22, 2019 at 1:43:49 PM UTC-5, John Robertson wrote:

I would think that spraying it on a clear sheet of glass would show up
any residue better than paper towel...

Yes, and no. There are at least six (6) fractions in WD-40. The most
persistent of which is a dewaxed light mineral spirit. That will take the
longest to evaporate. A paper towel has the virtue of wicking all the
fractions, thereby speeding the process.

64742-65-0 is the CAS number. And, if followed, it is named "Adriatic
Spindle Oil". Trace it further, it is a non-staining, non-gumming
material used for high-speed spindle lubrication. Trace it further, and
where I have used it directly in my past, it is used in testing turbine
seals at very high speed (10,000 - 50,000 rpm). That material would be
the clear quill (100% single-fraction, undiluted). The material is
injected constantly into the seal, and not recirculated. If none passed
the seal, the seal passed (pun intended). The seal face is graphite, and
self-lubricating, the spindle oil being a "visible air", air being used
for static testing. As it is thinner than any turbine oil, it is very
good for dynamic testing.

In any case, we kept the containers sealed tightly as the stuff would
evaporate otherwise, and was not at all cheap in the quantities used.

Peter Wieck
Melrose Park, PA

A spectrum test reveled an amount of bug juice. Can't say what bug, might
be a Variation of stink bug LOL.

Greg