RichardS

Default Forthcoming Building Regulations on electrical work (Part P)

"Frisket" wrote in message

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
On Fri, 25 Jul 2003 08:11:17 +0100, "James"
wrote:

Regarding availability of materials, do I think that electrical
fittings would disappear from the shelves of B&Q? Not really,
although they may scale it down a bit. At least it would mean that
the intrusive "helpers" that they have who come and poke their noses
into what you are buying would be redeployed.

If you think about it, B&Q still sells gas fittings, fires and
windows.
.andy

A couple of years ago when I was refitting the kitchen the local B&Q

didn't
have any gas fittings (plenty of fires / boilers etc.). The assistant I
spoke to said it was because of the "regulations". Went last week for some
bits for the bathroom and lo and behold all the gas fittings had
re-appeared! Perhaps they found out that people still wanted to buy these
bits to make interesting wall hangings or something? Richard

IME there are two reasons that assistants, assistant managers and managers
always give for not providing customer service:

1) Regulations
2) Insurance

Officious application of (1) once prevented me from taking safety razors on
board a SleazyJet flight, even though said items had been bought air-side at
Heathrow T4 the week before (and well after US attacks).

(2) prevented me from being able to get a long board cut down at one of the
sheds so that it would fit in the car. They wouldn't lend me one of their
saws, and wouldn't even let me cut it in the car park if I bought a cheap
saw. I got a refund immediately, and the next day was allowed to do exactly
what I wanted to do at a local timber yard.

My local electrical warehouse say they're not unduly worried about the
effects of the new regs, and will continue to sell anything to anyone unless
they are specifically prohibited from doing so by law.

cheers
Richard

--
Richard Sampson