Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Martin Gregorie[_2_] Martin Gregorie[_2_] is offline

Default WD-40 to clean electric contacts?

On Sun, 20 Jan 2019 12:38:23 -0800, John Robertson wrote:

WD-40 should only be used when you don't have access to better products,
then wash it out carefully and use the correct product. I have fixed
enough games gummed up through the use of WD-40 that I would prefer to
never see that gunk again.

No argument here. WD-40 was about all there was in spray bombs back in
the day, so we used it and, of necessity understood or soon learnt about
the consequences of using it. Reality being that WD-40 was about the only
waterproofing (hence sticky) penetrating oil available at the time, so
all that there was available at the time.

That the habit of using it has persistent can be put down to the fact
that it does the job provided you understand the side-effects and know
how to do with them.

I'm uncertain what replaces it - switch cleaner? - since blasting grit
out of a timer that has sat behind an engine burning 20:80 oil:methanol
needs WD-40's penetrating oil properties but without the dried-on, sticky
water-repelling coat it leaves behind.

--
Martin | martin at
Gregorie | gregorie dot org