Posted to uk.d-i-y
Marland Marland is offline

Default Can I chuck unused wheelie bins in a skip?

T i m wrote:

A bugbear is people putting their (non green) rubbish in our green
bin. OK, I'm glad they make the effort rather than just dropping it on
the ground but that means we have to fish their rubbish out of an
often otherwise empty (so deep) wheely bin to put it in the right
place. ;-(

I wonder how many here clear litter from the street near our homes
(between any Council cleaners)? A few of us round here do, 1) because
it looks untidy and 2) if you don't it seems to invite others to add
to it? ;-(

Well it is only a quiet village so I do and it ,usually on going to and
from the allotments or walking one of the residents dogs if they need a
hand. (We get the companionship without the bills). A couple of others I
see pick
up while walking by as well.
That is in addition to a good twice a year community clean where a map of
the vicinity is put on the village notice board with the local roads split
into sections, you choose a section pick up one of the litter picker grabs
and some bags and go along the chosen section. If you are happy it is done
you put your name on the section meaning it has been done, if you havent
cleared it you dont mark it and hope someone else will complete.
I tend to follow on the second day and as I have my own picker which is
extra long* often reach items that others could not .
Once done a crisp packet , coffee cup,bottle stand out but picking them up
regularly keeps it under control
.. Crisps etc come from local kids who are generally quite good but let them
escape from pockets, Coffee cups you can tell by the branding have been
brought in at least 9 miles so probably from cars. And Im sorry cyclists
but far too many of you think that dressing in a replica team strip from
the Tour de France etc entitles you to throw their empty water bottles into
the verge as seen on those races , except here there is no clean up
operation following them.

* Extra long because it was bought to reach fallen leaves in a largish pond
or higher sprigs of elderflower that others cant reach.

GH