zxcvbob

Default plastic or copper plumbing?

Everett M. Greene wrote:
zxcvbob writes:

Alan wrote:

A builder I know is offering a choice of plastic or copper plumbing in
new home construction. He recommends plastic as he says it is
quieter. He charges the same for either one. Anything else to
consider?

Copper supply lines, plastic or cast iron waste lines. (Cast iron is
quieter) I would use plastic for horizontal waste lines and might use cast
iron for the waste stack.

I've seen the plastic lines installed in new construction in our
area and have wondered about the ease with which a DIYer can
come along later and drive a nail through the lines. The light
metal pieces put across the studs won't slow anyone down very
much.

It's almost as easy to drive a nail through a copper pipe.

I also questioned the local building inspector's office
about using the plastic lines for grounding the electrical
service. They seemed to think it's OK. (There's a real
ground to ground also.)

You ground the electrical service to the *back side of the meter*, so it
should be thick-wall copper tubing or pipe. If the water entrance is
plastic, you wouldn't use it as a grounding electrode. You'll have to make
some other kind of grounding electrode.

[zxcvbob: How do you post from the University of Berlin?]

http://news.individual.net/

Best regards,
Bob