Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default What is this 4 axis set up called?

On 2019-01-14, Paul K. Dickman wrote:
wrote in message
On Sunday, January 13, 2019 at 11:01:39 PM UTC-5, Clare wrote:
On 14 Jan 2019 01:57:30 GMT, "DoN. Nichols"

On 2019-01-13, JimmyMcGill wrote:
Hey does anyone know what the correct name for this 4 axis set up is
called and possibly who makes it?

http://www.eevblog.com/forum/reviews/what-is-the-name-of-this-5-axis-positioning-tool/?action=dlattach;attach=617821;image

It looks to me like a combination of a milling attachment for a
lathe (the vertical part replaces the compound), and a 2-axis X-Y table
missing the table top.

[ ... ]

Those are Atlases.
They use the same castings and dovetail sizes on several different
assemblies.
Someone frankensteined a 10" lathe milling attachment to the top of an X-Y
table that they removed the table from. They might have had to add a cross
slide from the 10" into the mix. I don't remember if the X-Y table had a
swivel.

The X-Y table which I had/"have somewhere" has a swivel. Loosen
two Allen-head cap screws, and it rotates. I can't swear whether it is
Atlas or not, as it was quite old when I got it.

Paul K. Dickman

Enjoy,
DoN.

--