Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] knuckle-dragger@nowhere.gov is offline

Default Toilet seat screwdriver

Tekkie® wrote:

I need to tighten my toilet seat plastic bolts. The nut below the toilet is
manageable but the 'bolt' that extends into the seat hinge is slotted and
any screwdriver I have just mangles the plastic. I tried a putty knife but
it is too wide to get into the inset the bolt head sits in. How do plumbers
do it without damage?

There is a very handy tool to do just this job. It looks like a
plastic pipe about 8" long with a rubber gripping sleeve and a series
of slots in the top and bottom to go over the wings of the nuts
underneath the bowl. Look on Amazon or just search for "Toilet bowl
seat bolt tightening" or similar wording. About $8. Strangely it seems
to be made by a company in the gardening or pool supply business.
Maybe the owner had the same problem and just put his machine shop to
good use.

"This Old House" also had the same problem and recommended cutting the
bolts. Bad idea given the likelihood of damaging the bowl.

---
https://www.avg.com