Posted to uk.d-i-y
Jim K.. Jim K.. is offline

Default Building a balcony, or 'high decking', how to design and sizeit?

harry Wrote in message:
On Sunday, 13 January 2019 14:03:06 UTC, Chris Green wrote:
We're planning to build a balcony/decking outside an upstairs bedroom
and need some pointers on how to go about designing it as regards
sizes of beams, depth/type of piles required, etc.

It will be mostly rather less than a full floor height from the ground
as the ground slopes up slightly, we are also aiming to add a staircase
which will probably only have a 4ft or 5ft drop.

The balcony will probably be either 3 x 3 metres or 4 x 2 metres (with
2 metres projection). Thus we will need two posts to support the
outer corners and RSJs (probably) to support the decking/floor of the
balcony.

What I need some help with is the sizing of RSJs (either two 2m ones
and a 4m one or three 3m ones) and the sort of footings/piles we need
to support the posts.

I *think* the most suitable supports for the posts would be screw
piles of some sort or other but I'm willing to look at alternatives.
Does anyone have experience of this sort of thing?

Then where do I find out what sort of size of RSJ is needed, no wall
load on them, just some 'floor' and people.

Any help such as pointers to sites with information would be most
welcome.

--
Chris Green
·

Rule of thumb for joist sizes. (Imperial dimensions)
For 2"joists at 16" centres.
Depth of joist in inches is equal to span in feet plus 2"
So a 12 ft span would need a 14" deep joist.

Wood or steel sfb?
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----