Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Building a balcony, or 'high decking', how to design and size it?

We're planning to build a balcony/decking outside an upstairs bedroom
and need some pointers on how to go about designing it as regards
sizes of beams, depth/type of piles required, etc.

It will be mostly rather less than a full floor height from the ground
as the ground slopes up slightly, we are also aiming to add a staircase
which will probably only have a 4ft or 5ft drop.

The balcony will probably be either 3 x 3 metres or 4 x 2 metres (with
2 metres projection). Thus we will need two posts to support the
outer corners and RSJs (probably) to support the decking/floor of the
balcony.

What I need some help with is the sizing of RSJs (either two 2m ones
and a 4m one or three 3m ones) and the sort of footings/piles we need
to support the posts.

I *think* the most suitable supports for the posts would be screw
piles of some sort or other but I'm willing to look at alternatives.
Does anyone have experience of this sort of thing?

Then where do I find out what sort of size of RSJ is needed, no wall
load on them, just some 'floor' and people.

Any help such as pointers to sites with information would be most
welcome.

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/01/2019 13:48, Chris Green wrote:
[...]

Just in case it's not impinged on you, planning permission and building
regulations seem likely to be relevant so - depending on your local
authority's willingness to engage informally - you might want to start
by what tends to cause them least problems.

https://www.planningportal.co.uk/inf...cts/11/decking

--
Robin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

[snip]

Just in case it's not impinged on you, planning permission and building
regulations seem likely to be relevant so - depending on your local
authority's willingness to engage informally - you might want to start
by what tends to cause them least problems.

https://www.planningportal.co.uk/inf...cts/11/decking

Yes, we're aware that planning and regs apply. The above site is
totally useless, all it does is tell me that decking more than 30cm
high requires planning permission which we knew already. There's
nothing at all about balconies or outside stairways.

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 13 January 2019 14:03:06 UTC, Chris Green wrote:
We're planning to build a balcony/decking outside an upstairs bedroom
and need some pointers on how to go about designing it as regards
sizes of beams, depth/type of piles required, etc.

Regulation K2 (a) (b) prescribes various situations where
guarding should be provided to areas where people have
access: this can include both internal and external areas.
It states that any stairs, ramps, floors and balconies and
any roof to which people have access shall be provided with
barriers where it is necessary to protect people in or about
the building from falling.
Approved Document K2 (3.3) is quite specific in commenting
that horizontal rails for guarding should be avoided and any
construction should be such that a 100mm sphere cannot
pass through any opening in the guarding.

https://www.labc.co.uk/sites/default..._balconies.pdf

See also
https://www.designingbuildings.co.uk/wiki/Railings
https://www.designingbuildings.co.uk/wiki/Stair_design
(although this is not an authoritative source)

As far as RSJ and foundation piling is concerned, that's structural engineer territory. If you're anywhere near central Scotland or Milan, I can suggest one :-)

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris Green Wrote in message:
[snip]

Just in case it's not impinged on you, planning permission and building
regulations seem likely to be relevant so - depending on your local
authority's willingness to engage informally - you might want to start
by what tends to cause them least problems.

https://www.planningportal.co.uk/inf...cts/11/decking

Yes, we're aware that planning and regs apply. The above site is
totally useless, all it does is tell me that decking more than 30cm
high requires planning permission which we knew already. There's
nothing at all about balconies or outside stairways.

It tells you regs will apply.
So plans or building notice?
The former will specify everything, the latter will evolve as the
project proceeds AFTER pp is gained...
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 13 Jan 2019 13:48:14 +0000, Chris Green wrote:

[...]

I would treat it an an internal floor for design - doing the same job but
outside.

Not sure why you need RSJs at both ends; should be enough (I think) to
have a beam parallel to the wall on two uprights, then have joists running
from this to wall hangers along the wall, then planking parallel to the
wall.

No reason not to go for 3 RSJs though, if that makes you more comfortable.

Anyway
http://nhbccampaigns.co.uk/landingpa...versions/2010/
Part6/section4/appendix.htm
might be of some help.

Someone with a link to an online tool will be along shortly. :-)

Cheers

Dave R

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

Rule of thumb for joist sizes. (Imperial dimensions)
For 2"joists at 16" centres.
Depth of joist in inches is equal to span in feet plus 2"
So a 12 ft span would need a 14" deep joist.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

harry Wrote in message:
[...]

Wood or steel sfb?
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/01/2019 15:25, Chris Green wrote:
[snip]

Just in case it's not impinged on you, planning permission and building
regulations seem likely to be relevant so - depending on your local
authority's willingness to engage informally - you might want to start
by what tends to cause them least problems.

https://www.planningportal.co.uk/inf...cts/11/decking

Yes, we're aware that planning and regs apply. The above site is
totally useless, all it does is tell me that decking more than 30cm
high requires planning permission which we knew already. There's
nothing at all about balconies or outside stairways.

True. But it is not a big step from being told that building regs. are
relevant to Approved Document K which Owain has already cited. FTAOD
that explicitly states that it applies to external steps and balconies
where part of a building.

--
Robin

Posted to uk.d-i-y

There does seem to be a rash of balconies in the planning applications
around here of late. I'd imagine that As it will need planning consent there
must be guidelines around somewhere.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff wrote:
There does seem to be a rash of balconies in the planning applications
around here of late. I'd imagine that As it will need planning consent there
must be guidelines around somewhere.

The main issue with balconies seems to be if they might overlook
neighbours' properties thus invading their privacy. Since our
neighbours are several hundred yards away behind huge trees that isn't
going to be an issue for us. Also as it's going to be at the back of
the house appearance isn't really going to be a problem, no one can
see the back of our house unless they're on our land.

However I think getting building control in might well be quite useful
in terms of getting things 'done right'.

--
Chris Green
·