Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dan S. MacAbre[_4_] Dan S. MacAbre[_4_] is offline

Default Does anyone know what these grips are called?

newshound wrote:
On 11/01/2019 12:28, Dan S. MacAbre wrote:
newshound wrote:

I've used them as a gear pedal when I was a lad, but they are
obviously a bit awkward to use, and they wreck the end of the shaft.
Mind you, the splines on the pedal shaft never lasted long anyway.

Velocettes had a square shaft.

Seems dependable, but how do you make adjustments to the angle? Or do
you just hope your ankle bends at the correct angle? :-)

I once temporarily replaced a throttle twist-grip with a choke lever
which was clearly a very bad thing to do.Â* Fortunately, the roads were
much quieter then.

Seems pretty safe to me. Certainly better than setting the throttle to,
say, 1000 rpm and using the advance/retard lever for finer control.

The way I fitted it, you had to push it forward to open the throttle. A
bit counter-intuitive.

I remember we were trying to teach a girl to ride. She couldn't get
used to the idea that you twisted it back to speed up, and let it go
forward to slow down. So she'd pull it back to try to slow down, and
usually ended up accelerating into a hedge, or something. She got the
hang of it eventually, though.