Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Does anyone know what these grips are called?

We were in Italy over the new year visiting in-laws. They are retired
farmers, and there are interesting mountains of tools both ancient and
modern lying around. One of the modern ones that I rather liked was
like a kind of Mole grip, but the pivot/fulcrum/whatever could be moved
into four positions, a bit like a deck chair, and it allowed the jaws to
open a bit wider, and to stay a bit more parallel. Has anyone seen any
of these?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Dan S. MacAbre wrote:
We were in Italy over the new year visiting in-laws. They are retired
farmers, and there are interesting mountains of tools both ancient and
modern lying around. One of the modern ones that I rather liked was
like a kind of Mole grip, but the pivot/fulcrum/whatever could be moved
into four positions, a bit like a deck chair, and it allowed the jaws to
open a bit wider, and to stay a bit more parallel. Has anyone seen any
of these?

Do you mean slip joint pliers? Sometimes called water pump pliers. But not
really like a mole grip, and only a simple pivot, so not as much grip.

--
*If your feet smell and your nose runs, you're built upside down.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Dan S. MacAbre wrote:
We were in Italy over the new year visiting in-laws. They are retired
farmers, and there are interesting mountains of tools both ancient and
modern lying around. One of the modern ones that I rather liked was
like a kind of Mole grip, but the pivot/fulcrum/whatever could be moved
into four positions, a bit like a deck chair, and it allowed the jaws to
open a bit wider, and to stay a bit more parallel. Has anyone seen any
of these?

Do you mean slip joint pliers? Sometimes called water pump pliers. But not
really like a mole grip, and only a simple pivot, so not as much grip.

That's what it sounded like to me too. The other slightly clever thing
about them is that they self-tighten (provided you turn them in the
right direction of course).
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Dan S. MacAbre wrote:
We were in Italy over the new year visiting in-laws. They are retired
farmers, and there are interesting mountains of tools both ancient and
modern lying around. One of the modern ones that I rather liked was
like a kind of Mole grip, but the pivot/fulcrum/whatever could be moved
into four positions, a bit like a deck chair, and it allowed the jaws to
open a bit wider, and to stay a bit more parallel. Has anyone seen any
of these?

Do you mean slip joint pliers? Sometimes called water pump pliers. But not
really like a mole grip, and only a simple pivot, so not as much grip.

I have a couple of pairs of waterpump pliers - some of the most useful
things I have. The things I'm thinking of are a bit like that though.
Mostly like Mole grips, but having a line of pivots at right-angles to
the line of the handle, rather than just one. You can pull the moving
handle back against the spring, and move the pivot to another recess to
widen the jaws. The name stamped into the handle was French, but I
can't remember it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Dan S. MacAbre wrote:
We were in Italy over the new year visiting in-laws. They are retired
farmers, and there are interesting mountains of tools both ancient and
modern lying around. One of the modern ones that I rather liked was
like a kind of Mole grip, but the pivot/fulcrum/whatever could be moved
into four positions, a bit like a deck chair, and it allowed the jaws to
open a bit wider, and to stay a bit more parallel. Has anyone seen any
of these?

Do you mean slip joint pliers? Sometimes called water pump pliers. But not
really like a mole grip, and only a simple pivot, so not as much grip.

No I think they are different - I have seen these; indeed I was using
some only last weekend. (they are very old- but still worked). They
are just like mole grips but the pivot point can be moved like water
pump pliers. Should be on the site where they are this afternoon so I
will take a photo and post it if nothing comes up sooner.

--
Chris B (News)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/01/2019 11:39, Chris B wrote:
In article ,
Â*Â*Â* Dan S. MacAbre wrote:
We were in Italy over the new year visiting in-laws.Â* They are retired
farmers, and there are interesting mountains of tools both ancient and
modern lying around.Â* One of the modern ones that I rather liked was
like a kind of Mole grip, but the pivot/fulcrum/whatever could be moved
into four positions, a bit like a deck chair, and it allowed the jaws to
open a bit wider, and to stay a bit more parallel.Â* Has anyone seen any
of these?

Do you mean slip joint pliers? Sometimes called water pump pliers. But
not
really like a mole grip, and only a simple pivot, so not as much grip.

No I think they are different - I have seen these; indeed I was using
some only last weekend.Â* (they are very old- but still worked).Â*Â* They
are just like mole grips but the pivot point can be moved like water
pump pliers.Â* Should be on the site where they are this afternoon so I
will take a photo and post it if nothing comes up sooner.

Sounds clever. I think the Mole is one of the most useful of tools. I've
heard of people using them as a temporary replacement for a lost
motorcycle gear pedal. The lack of parallelism at wide openings is one
of their few weaknesses.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dan S. MacAbre wrote:

a kind of Mole grip, but the pivot/fulcrum/whatever could be moved
into four positions

http://www.expert-toolstore.com/facom-lock-grip-pliers/1348-facom-500-short-nose-4-position-lock-grip-pliers
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Â*Â*Â* Dan S. MacAbre wrote:
We were in Italy over the new year visiting in-laws.Â* They are
retired farmers, and there are interesting mountains of tools both
ancient and modern lying around.Â* One of the modern ones that I
[...]

I just bought a new pair, the others having 'disappeared'. The pair they
replaced was bought from the same shop (in Brighton) over 50 years ago -
it's now being run by the fifth generation of the family!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Â*Â*Â* Dan S. MacAbre wrote:
[...]

Found a similar (modern) set with image search. For some reason adding
French to the search term made all the difference.

https://img.vpindustries.fr/dolex/im...taux_BL250.jpg

--
Chris B (News)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Â*Â*Â* Dan S. MacAbre wrote:
[...]

Yes, extremely similar to that, but the jaws were not at all
claw-shaped. But many thanks for that.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Â*Â*Â* Dan S. MacAbre wrote:
[...]

I've used them as a gear pedal when I was a lad, but they are obviously
a bit awkward to use, and they wreck the end of the shaft. Mind you,
the splines on the pedal shaft never lasted long anyway.

I once temporarily replaced a throttle twist-grip with a choke lever
which was clearly a very bad thing to do. Fortunately, the roads were
much quieter then.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns wrote:
Dan S. MacAbre wrote:

a kind of Mole grip, but the pivot/fulcrum/whatever could be moved
into four positions

http://www.expert-toolstore.com/facom-lock-grip-pliers/1348-facom-500-short-nose-4-position-lock-grip-pliers

Yes, that's it. Although ISTR that the bottom jaw was a bit more
substantial. But I could easily have imagined that.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dan S. MacAbre wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

facom-500-short-nose-4-position-lock-grip-pliers

Yes, that's it.Â* Although ISTR that the bottom jaw was a bit more
substantial.Â* But I could easily have imagined that.

There are several varigations in the 500A range (the 500 I linked to
seems to be discontinued)

https://www.facom.com/uk/products/500A-Series-Description.html
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns wrote:
Dan S. MacAbre wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

facom-500-short-nose-4-position-lock-grip-pliers

Yes, that's it.Â* Although ISTR that the bottom jaw was a bit more
substantial.Â* But I could easily have imagined that.

There are several varigations in the 500A range (the 500 I linked to
seems to be discontinued)

https://www.facom.com/uk/products/500A-Series-Description.html

Great, thanks. I have to say that IMVHO, they worked rather well.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, January 11, 2019 at 12:39:38 PM UTC, Dan S. MacAbre wrote:
Andy Burns wrote:
Dan S. MacAbre wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

facom-500-short-nose-4-position-lock-grip-pliers

Yes, that's it.Â* Although ISTR that the bottom jaw was a bit more
substantial.Â* But I could easily have imagined that.

There are several varigations in the 500A range (the 500 I linked to
seems to be discontinued)

https://www.facom.com/uk/products/500A-Series-Description.html

Great, thanks. I have to say that IMVHO, they worked rather well.

https://www.amazon.fr/s/ref=nb_sb_no...ex+pince+etaux

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 11 January 2019 10:23:09 UTC, Dan S. MacAbre wrote:
We were in Italy over the new year visiting in-laws. They are retired
farmers, and there are interesting mountains of tools both ancient and
modern lying around. One of the modern ones that I rather liked was
like a kind of Mole grip, but the pivot/fulcrum/whatever could be moved
into four positions, a bit like a deck chair, and it allowed the jaws to
open a bit wider, and to stay a bit more parallel. Has anyone seen any
of these?

Water pump pliers
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tongue-and-groove_pliers

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dan S. MacAbre used his keyboard to write :
I have a couple of pairs of waterpump pliers - some of the most useful things
I have. The things I'm thinking of are a bit like that though. Mostly like
Mole grips, but having a line of pivots at right-angles to the line of the
handle, rather than just one. You can pull the moving handle back against
the spring, and move the pivot to another recess to widen the jaws. The name
stamped into the handle was French, but I can't remember it.

I think they are what electricians used to use to tighten steel
conduits and they called them 'dogs'. The proper name, I don't know,
but made by 'mole'. Two parts sort of L shaped, one fitted into the
other and the pivot point was a threaded thumb screw bolt. That was
adjustable to enable the 'dogs' to be used on various conduit sizes.

When worn, they tended to slip and bit your fingers - a small pair of
Stillsons was much safer and gripped rather better.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tandy used to have those. I think they were just called parallel grip
pliers. Rather odd name but I gues they were made by some other company. I
wonder where mine went?
That is going to annoy me now. Very handy for taps.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Dan S. MacAbre" wrote in message
We were in Italy over the new year visiting in-laws. They are retired
farmers, and there are interesting mountains of tools both ancient and
modern lying around. One of the modern ones that I rather liked was like
a kind of Mole grip, but the pivot/fulcrum/whatever could be moved into
four positions, a bit like a deck chair, and it allowed the jaws to open a
bit wider, and to stay a bit more parallel. Has anyone seen any of these?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Dan S. MacAbre used his keyboard to write :
I have a couple of pairs of waterpump pliers - some of the most useful things
I have. The things I'm thinking of are a bit like that though. Mostly like
Mole grips, but having a line of pivots at right-angles to the line of the
handle, rather than just one. You can pull the moving handle back against
the spring, and move the pivot to another recess to widen the jaws. The name
stamped into the handle was French, but I can't remember it.

I think they are what electricians used to use to tighten steel
conduits and they called them 'dogs'. The proper name, I don't know,
but made by 'mole'. Two parts sort of L shaped, one fitted into the
other and the pivot point was a threaded thumb screw bolt. That was
adjustable to enable the 'dogs' to be used on various conduit sizes.

The ones I used and still use are "Footprints". That's the name of the firm
that made tehm.

When worn, they tended to slip and bit your fingers - a small pair of
Stillsons was much safer and gripped rather better.

I found rather good set of self adjusting grips made in NZ. As the
salesman said "they have to be simple - we sell them in Australia"

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dan S. MacAbre wrote:
We were in Italy over the new year visiting in-laws.* They are retired
farmers, and there are interesting mountains of tools both ancient and
modern lying around.* One of the modern ones that I rather liked was
like a kind of Mole grip, but the pivot/fulcrum/whatever could be moved
into four positions, a bit like a deck chair, and it allowed the jaws to
open a bit wider, and to stay a bit more parallel.* Has anyone seen any
of these?

Thanks, all. It turns out it was these

http://www.expert-toolstore.com/faco...ck-grip-pliers

But they've been replaced by a newer model.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

charles wrote :
The ones I used and still use are "Footprints". That's the name of the firm
that made tehm.

Sorry, yes Footprints - they used to have an outline of a footprint
stamped upon them..
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"harry" wrote in message
On Friday, 11 January 2019 10:23:09 UTC, Dan S. MacAbre wrote:
We were in Italy over the new year visiting in-laws. They are retired
farmers, and there are interesting mountains of tools both ancient and
modern lying around. One of the modern ones that I rather liked was
like a kind of Mole grip, but the pivot/fulcrum/whatever could be moved
into four positions, a bit like a deck chair, and it allowed the jaws to
open a bit wider, and to stay a bit more parallel. Has anyone seen any
of these?

Water pump pliers
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tongue-and-groove_pliers

Different animal entirely, no mole grip action.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

On 11/01/2019 17:24, Dan S. MacAbre wrote:
Dan S. MacAbre wrote:
We were in Italy over the new year visiting in-laws.Â* They are retired
farmers, and there are interesting mountains of tools both ancient and
modern lying around.Â* One of the modern ones that I rather liked was
like a kind of Mole grip, but the pivot/fulcrum/whatever could be
moved into four positions, a bit like a deck chair, and it allowed the
jaws to open a bit wider, and to stay a bit more parallel.Â* Has anyone
seen any of these?

Thanks, all.Â* It turns out it was these

http://www.expert-toolstore.com/faco...ck-grip-pliers

But they've been replaced by a newer model.

Ah well I was going to suggest these:

https://imgur.com/a/HNe8IBJ

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 11/01/2019 12:28, Dan S. MacAbre wrote:
newshound wrote:

I've used them as a gear pedal when I was a lad, but they are obviously
a bit awkward to use, and they wreck the end of the shaft.Â* Mind you,
the splines on the pedal shaft never lasted long anyway.

Velocettes had a square shaft.

I once temporarily replaced a throttle twist-grip with a choke lever
which was clearly a very bad thing to do.Â* Fortunately, the roads were
much quieter then.

Seems pretty safe to me. Certainly better than setting the throttle to,
say, 1000 rpm and using the advance/retard lever for finer control.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 11 January 2019 10:23:09 UTC, Dan S. MacAbre wrote:
We were in Italy over the new year visiting in-laws. They are retired
farmers, and there are interesting mountains of tools both ancient and
modern lying around. One of the modern ones that I rather liked was
like a kind of Mole grip, but the pivot/fulcrum/whatever could be moved
into four positions, a bit like a deck chair, and it allowed the jaws to
open a bit wider, and to stay a bit more parallel. Has anyone seen any
of these?

Closely related: carver clamp.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Â*Â*Â* Dan S. MacAbre wrote:
We were in Italy over the new year visiting in-laws.Â* They are
retired farmers, and there are interesting mountains of tools both
ancient and modern lying around.Â* One of the modern ones that I
rather liked was like a kind of Mole grip, but the
pivot/fulcrum/whatever could be moved into four positions, a bit
like a deck chair, and it allowed the jaws to open a bit wider,
and to stay a bit more parallel.Â* Has anyone seen any of these?

Do you mean slip joint pliers? Sometimes called water pump pliers.
But not really like a mole grip, and only a simple pivot, so not as
much grip.

No I think they are different - I have seen these; indeed I was
using some only last weekend.Â* (they are very old- but still
worked).Â*Â* They are just like mole grips but the pivot point can be
moved like water pump pliers.Â* Should be on the site where they are
this afternoon so I will take a photo and post it if nothing comes
up sooner.

Sounds clever. I think the Mole is one of the most useful of tools.
I've heard of people using them as a temporary replacement for a lost
motorcycle gear pedal. The lack of parallelism at wide openings is
one of their few weaknesses.

I just bought a new pair, the others having 'disappeared'. The pair
they replaced was bought from the same shop (in Brighton) over 50 years
ago -
it's now being run by the fifth generation of the family!

Dockerills?

Of course. I was in Brighton a few times last year and ended up having an
interesting conversation with two of the staff. I still have some tools I
bought there 52 years ago.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

newshound wrote:

I've used them as a gear pedal when I was a lad, but they are
obviously a bit awkward to use, and they wreck the end of the shaft.
Mind you, the splines on the pedal shaft never lasted long anyway.

Velocettes had a square shaft.

Seems dependable, but how do you make adjustments to the angle? Or do
you just hope your ankle bends at the correct angle? :-)

I once temporarily replaced a throttle twist-grip with a choke lever
which was clearly a very bad thing to do.Â* Fortunately, the roads were
much quieter then.

Seems pretty safe to me. Certainly better than setting the throttle to,
say, 1000 rpm and using the advance/retard lever for finer control.

The way I fitted it, you had to push it forward to open the throttle. A
bit counter-intuitive.

I remember we were trying to teach a girl to ride. She couldn't get
used to the idea that you twisted it back to speed up, and let it go
forward to slow down. So she'd pull it back to try to slow down, and
usually ended up accelerating into a hedge, or something. She got the
hang of it eventually, though.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dan S. MacAbre wrote:
We were in Italy over the new year visiting in-laws.Â* They are retired
farmers, and there are interesting mountains of tools both ancient and
modern lying around.Â* One of the modern ones that I rather liked was
like a kind of Mole grip, but the pivot/fulcrum/whatever could be moved
into four positions, a bit like a deck chair, and it allowed the jaws to
open a bit wider, and to stay a bit more parallel.Â* Has anyone seen any
of these?

A picture is worth a thousand words.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 13 Feb 2019 21:33:42 +1100, FMurtz
wrote:

Dan S. MacAbre wrote:
We were in Italy over the new year visiting in-laws.* They are retired
farmers, and there are interesting mountains of tools both ancient and
modern lying around.* One of the modern ones that I rather liked was
like a kind of Mole grip, but the pivot/fulcrum/whatever could be moved
into four positions, a bit like a deck chair, and it allowed the jaws to
open a bit wider, and to stay a bit more parallel.* Has anyone seen any
of these?

A picture is worth a thousand words.

Commonly called water pump pliers -

https://www.screwfix.com/p/irwin-vic...t-pliers/43518

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Dan S. MacAbre wrote:
We were in Italy over the new year visiting in-laws. They are retired
farmers, and there are interesting mountains of tools both ancient and
modern lying around. One of the modern ones that I rather liked was
like a kind of Mole grip, but the pivot/fulcrum/whatever could be moved
into four positions, a bit like a deck chair, and it allowed the jaws to
open a bit wider, and to stay a bit more parallel. Has anyone seen any
of these?

A picture is worth a thousand words.

Commonly called water pump pliers -

https://www.screwfix.com/p/irwin-vic...t-pliers/43518

That's a different animal entirely. No mole grip action with those.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

Dan S. MacAbre wrote:
We were in Italy over the new year visiting in-laws.* They are retired
farmers, and there are interesting mountains of tools both ancient and
modern lying around.* One of the modern ones that I rather liked was
like a kind of Mole grip, but the pivot/fulcrum/whatever could be moved
into four positions, a bit like a deck chair, and it allowed the jaws to
open a bit wider, and to stay a bit more parallel.* Has anyone seen any
of these?

A picture is worth a thousand words.

Commonly called water pump pliers -

https://www.screwfix.com/p/irwin-vic...t-pliers/43518

I've always called them "Gordon's" and have had them for at least 50 years.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bob Martin wrote in
:

https://www.screwfix.com/p/irwin-vic...nt-pliers/4351