Posted to uk.d-i-y
Fredxx[_3_] Fredxx[_3_] is offline

Default Apprentice and Hex keys

On 11/01/2019 23:14, Tim Streater wrote:
In article , Steve Walker
wrote:

On 11/01/2019 12:36, bert wrote:

Well they even get their dates wrong way round

Yes. There are two sensible ways to do it:

dd/mm/yy - as that give the probably most relevent unit first and the
later ones can be ignored if not required.

This is a human-oriented date. Use for any human interaction.

yy/mm/dd - as that sorts properly on a computer.

A computer oriented date. Use internally if you must, personally I
store all computer generated dates as seconds since the epoch.

Why on earth would mm/dd/yy make any sense at all?

It doesn't.

It does if you say a date like July 5th. Have you never used such a
written format. Mind, I haven't for a long time, but hey.

My preferred format for computer files is yy-mm-dd