Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Does anyone know what these grips are called?

On Fri, 11 Jan 2019 06:34:44 -0800, jkn wrote:

On Friday, January 11, 2019 at 12:10:38 PM UTC, Bob Eager wrote:
On Fri, 11 Jan 2019 11:46:46 +0000, newshound wrote:

On 11/01/2019 11:39, Chris B wrote:
In article ,
Â*Â*Â* Dan S. MacAbre wrote:
We were in Italy over the new year visiting in-laws.Â* They are
retired farmers, and there are interesting mountains of tools both
ancient and modern lying around.Â* One of the modern ones that I
rather liked was like a kind of Mole grip, but the
pivot/fulcrum/whatever could be moved into four positions, a bit
like a deck chair, and it allowed the jaws to open a bit wider,
and to stay a bit more parallel.Â* Has anyone seen any of these?

Do you mean slip joint pliers? Sometimes called water pump pliers.
But not really like a mole grip, and only a simple pivot, so not as
much grip.

No I think they are different - I have seen these; indeed I was
using some only last weekend.Â* (they are very old- but still
worked).Â*Â* They are just like mole grips but the pivot point can be
moved like water pump pliers.Â* Should be on the site where they are
this afternoon so I will take a photo and post it if nothing comes
up sooner.

Sounds clever. I think the Mole is one of the most useful of tools.
I've heard of people using them as a temporary replacement for a lost
motorcycle gear pedal. The lack of parallelism at wide openings is
one of their few weaknesses.

I just bought a new pair, the others having 'disappeared'. The pair
they replaced was bought from the same shop (in Brighton) over 50 years
ago -
it's now being run by the fifth generation of the family!

Dockerills?

Of course. I was in Brighton a few times last year and ended up having an
interesting conversation with two of the staff. I still have some tools I
bought there 52 years ago.