Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Apprentice and Hex keys

On Friday, 11 January 2019 10:26:23 UTC, NY wrote:
"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
I remember that I bought some from Tandy once. There seemed to be a lot of
keys I thought, and as you say, when I checked we had both imperial and
metric. Obviously, Tandy being a US company had sourced sets with all the
keys in all the places it sold.
The keys were fine, but the way of attaching tem to the large ring they
were on was cruddly a kind of coiled spring around the hex , which meant
you could take them off of course, but it was a sod of a job to put them
back again which in the end meant a lot of them got lost!

Yes those Allen keys on springs are a pain. The best set of Allen keys I
have has them all attached to a common shaft on a hand-sized handle. You
fold out the one you want and have a nice big handle to use to turn it. I
still use the small spring ones if I need to work in a confined space, but
the ones on a handle are much easier for everything else.

https://i.postimg.cc/0NwL238b/Img-1753-small.jpg (that's a photo of the
Allen key set)

Yes it is a real sod trying to fit Allen keys back into their springs.

They're easy, just rotate the allen key one way to release it or get it back in the spring. Which way? Whichever way tends to expand the spring widthwise.

NT