Posted to uk.d-i-y
tim... tim... is offline

Default colour matched paint

"FMurtz" wrote in message
tim... wrote:
Went into a store (I won't name it because it mighty not be the store's
fault, could be a generic problem with this product) with a sample of the
emulsion paint that I wanted, painted on to a piece of plasterboard (of
the same type that I expect to be painting onto).

now that I have opened the tin and painted the the walls (well a bit of)
the colour has dried out to be closer to that of the base colour of the
plaster board than the colour that I pained on.

I guess that the emulsion is translucent to the laser device that they
use to determined the colour mix and I got a result tainted by the colour
of the backing?

going back tomorrow with the same painted onto some gloss white paper.

bugger is I bought 10L of it

tim

Can you add tint and fix it ?

only if I knew how much tint to add

as we have seen this task is difficult enough when adding the tint to a base
paint that's white, how can you work it out for a base paint that's an
unknown colour

Anyhow, seems I was wrong about the translucency, the machine came up with
the same numbers with the gloss white backing.

And it seems that the measure was inaccurate, two other shops (one from the
same chain) have come up with the required numbers for, what I now know is
correct for this discontinued paint, albeit not as their first choice. So I
now have the paint that I want at the shed price, not the trade outlet price
(almost twice as much)

But I can't get shop number 1 to accept that the original fault is theirs,
arguing that it's the inherent variability of the product that's at fault
and the risk is mine. Just so you understand this, the difference in colour
is about the same as taking a sample of blue, and getting green. That's not
an acceptable margin of error. It's just plain wrong.

tim