Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default colour matched paint

Went into a store (I won't name it because it mighty not be the store's
fault, could be a generic problem with this product) with a sample of the
emulsion paint that I wanted, painted on to a piece of plasterboard (of the
same type that I expect to be painting onto).

now that I have opened the tin and painted the the walls (well a bit of)
the colour has dried out to be closer to that of the base colour of the
plaster board than the colour that I pained on.

I guess that the emulsion is translucent to the laser device that they use
to determined the colour mix and I got a result tainted by the colour of the
backing?

going back tomorrow with the same painted onto some gloss white paper.

bugger is I bought 10L of it

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

tim... wrote:
Went into a store (I won't name it because it mighty not be the store's
fault, could be a generic problem with this product) with a sample of
the emulsion paint that I wanted, painted on to a piece of plasterboard
(of the same type that I expect to be painting onto).

now that I have opened the tin and painted the the wallsÂ* (well a bit
of) the colour has dried out to be closer to that of the base colour of
the plaster board than the colour that I pained on.

I guess that the emulsion is translucent to the laser device that they
use to determined the colour mix and I got a result tainted by the
colour of the backing?

going back tomorrow with the same painted onto some gloss white paper.

bugger is I bought 10L of it

tim

Can you add tint and fix it ?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/01/2019 20:17, tim... wrote:
Went into a store (I won't name it because it mighty not be the store's
fault, could be a generic problem with this product) with a sample of
the emulsion paint that I wanted, painted on to a piece of plasterboard
(of the same type that I expect to be painting onto).

now that I have opened the tin and painted the the wallsÂ* (well a bit
of) the colour has dried out to be closer to that of the base colour of
the plaster board than the colour that I pained on.

Try a second coat on the same area before giving up. The first coat is
likely to still show some of whatever is underneath it through.

I guess that the emulsion is translucent to the laser device that they
use to determined the colour mix and I got a result tainted by the
colour of the backing?

Emulsion tends to need (at least) two coats to entirely obscure the
material that it has been painted onto.

going back tomorrow with the same painted onto some gloss white paper.

bugger is I bought 10L of it

Oops. Colour matching is something of a challenge. I prefer to take away
shade cards and interpolate the formula. I have used this to good effect
matching existing faded known composition paints in our VH. It is tricky
because the paint systems may have the same name but have changed over
the years as new resins and low VOC formulations have become the norm.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"FMurtz" wrote in message
tim... wrote:
Went into a store (I won't name it because it mighty not be the store's
fault, could be a generic problem with this product) with a sample of the
emulsion paint that I wanted, painted on to a piece of plasterboard (of
the same type that I expect to be painting onto).

now that I have opened the tin and painted the the walls (well a bit of)
the colour has dried out to be closer to that of the base colour of the
plaster board than the colour that I pained on.

I guess that the emulsion is translucent to the laser device that they
use to determined the colour mix and I got a result tainted by the colour
of the backing?

going back tomorrow with the same painted onto some gloss white paper.

bugger is I bought 10L of it

tim

Can you add tint and fix it ?

only if I knew how much tint to add

as we have seen this task is difficult enough when adding the tint to a base
paint that's white, how can you work it out for a base paint that's an
unknown colour

Anyhow, seems I was wrong about the translucency, the machine came up with
the same numbers with the gloss white backing.

And it seems that the measure was inaccurate, two other shops (one from the
same chain) have come up with the required numbers for, what I now know is
correct for this discontinued paint, albeit not as their first choice. So I
now have the paint that I want at the shed price, not the trade outlet price
(almost twice as much)

But I can't get shop number 1 to accept that the original fault is theirs,
arguing that it's the inherent variability of the product that's at fault
and the risk is mine. Just so you understand this, the difference in colour
is about the same as taking a sample of blue, and getting green. That's not
an acceptable margin of error. It's just plain wrong.

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Brian Gaff" wrote in message
Are the colorimeter. These devices used to cost a fortune for military
paint matching

now available in a variety of high street outlets

as the finish also makes the paint look a different colour, so the
faintest tendency toward rippling etc can look a different colour.

What I have isn't even close to what I wanted

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Martin Brown" wrote in message
On 10/01/2019 20:17, tim... wrote:
Went into a store (I won't name it because it mighty not be the store's
fault, could be a generic problem with this product) with a sample of the
emulsion paint that I wanted, painted on to a piece of plasterboard (of
the same type that I expect to be painting onto).

now that I have opened the tin and painted the the walls (well a bit of)
the colour has dried out to be closer to that of the base colour of the
plaster board than the colour that I pained on.

Try a second coat on the same area before giving up. The first coat is
likely to still show some of whatever is underneath it through.

No, it's just too different to the bit of the wall that I painted from the
dregs of the previous tin, that I (also) used to create the sample.

I guess that the emulsion is translucent to the laser device that they
use to determined the colour mix and I got a result tainted by the colour
of the backing?

Emulsion tends to need (at least) two coats to entirely obscure the
material that it has been painted onto.

going back tomorrow with the same painted onto some gloss white paper.

bugger is I bought 10L of it

Oops. Colour matching is something of a challenge. I prefer to take away
shade cards

It's a discontinued paint and there are no cards for it. I know its name
but it wasn't on their database (turns out it was on a trade store database,
I wish I'd known that yesterday)

I tried, but I couldn't find a current paint sample card to match

I'm more annoyed that I lost a 4 hour painting session at the house, where
because it was full of gas fitters, there was little scope for more
complicated work, than the 60 quid cost.

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 11 January 2019 18:38:48 UTC, tim... wrote:
"FMurtz" wrote in message
tim... wrote:
[...]

A photo, a physical sample and an LBA may encourage them to change their mind.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"FMurtz" wrote in message
tim... wrote:
[...]

I shall be mailing the UK head office complaints team

the physical sample will be difficult

and an LBA seems premature