Posted to rec.woodworking
Jack Jack is offline

Default Grizzly jointers

On 1/10/2019 2:16 PM, Bill wrote:
Jack wrote:
On 1/9/2019 11:18 PM, Bill wrote:
Why would someone buy this *new* jointer at 365 pounds, when they could
have the G0490 for the same price, at 200 pounds more. Because they had
a weak back? Makes me wonder whether the days of the G0490 are
numbered..

http://www.grizzly.com/products/Griz...ile-Base/G0857

You'd need to be a moron to buy either when you can get one with a
spiral cutter head for a few dollars more. After owning both types, I
would never buy, on purpose, a planer or jointer w/o a segmented
spiral cutter head. The difference is night and day, but the cost, in
this case, is just $30 more.

Point well-taken, but of course you meant to type "$300" more.

No, I meant $30. Surprised me as well, but I got the numbers directly
from the page you listed above, just scroll down a little:

Model: G0857 $1,295.00
Item# G0656X $1,325.00

Since we are on this topic, IIRC, the "regular" carbide cutters are not
particularly cheap. But I know that in the metalworking world, there
are cutters available (on E-bay) at much less cost. Are such "less
costly" cutters available for jointers too, and can anyone report on
their performance?

Not cheap, Grizz sells 10 packs for $40 and you would need 4 packs,
around $160. The good news is they are carbide, last a REALLY long
time, and since they have four sides you simply rotate them if they get
dull. A typical home work shop may never need to replace them, and a
commercial shop can afford to replace them. More good news is setting
the cutters is automatic, no adjustments needed. They simply screw in
and your done.

--
Jack
http://jbstein.com