Posted to uk.d-i-y
newshound newshound is offline

Default Does anyone know what these grips are called?

In article ,
Dan S. MacAbre wrote:
We were in Italy over the new year visiting in-laws. They are retired
farmers, and there are interesting mountains of tools both ancient and
modern lying around. One of the modern ones that I rather liked was
like a kind of Mole grip, but the pivot/fulcrum/whatever could be moved
into four positions, a bit like a deck chair, and it allowed the jaws to
open a bit wider, and to stay a bit more parallel. Has anyone seen any
of these?

Do you mean slip joint pliers? Sometimes called water pump pliers. But not
really like a mole grip, and only a simple pivot, so not as much grip.

That's what it sounded like to me too. The other slightly clever thing
about them is that they self-tighten (provided you turn them in the
right direction of course).