Posted to alt.home.repair
Vic Smith Vic Smith is offline

Default How to dispose of fibreglass batting?

On Sun, 06 Jan 2019 17:35:07 -0500, Dan Espen wrote:

Nil writes:

Is fibreglass batting insulation considered to be hazardous waste? I
replaced a few feet of it in my attic and put the old stuff in my
regular trash barrel... and the trash crew didn't take it. They emptied
out the stuff in the top half of the barrel, but they left the
insulation below it. Some googling finds people talking about having to
treat the disposal of old loose blow-in insulation with care, but not
much is said about fibreglass batting. Do I have to treat it specially?

Trash men won't pick up construction debris.
That's why they left that stuff.

I think it's hit or miss. Last week I had 4 exterior doors installed - entries and storms.
The installer wanted 30 bucks a door to take them. I told them to put them on the curb by
my garage driveway. Local metal scavengers took the aluminum storms right away.
The wood doors, framing and casings sat overnight, but were gone next morning, which was
trash pickup day. I didn't see them take it, but assume it was the regular trash pickup.
Saved me cutting it all up.