Posted to alt.home.repair

Default How to dispose of fibreglass batting?

Is fibreglass batting insulation considered to be hazardous waste? I
replaced a few feet of it in my attic and put the old stuff in my
regular trash barrel... and the trash crew didn't take it. They emptied
out the stuff in the top half of the barrel, but they left the
insulation below it. Some googling finds people talking about having to
treat the disposal of old loose blow-in insulation with care, but not
much is said about fibreglass batting. Do I have to treat it specially?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, January 6, 2019 at 1:08:49 PM UTC-5, Nil wrote:
Is fibreglass batting insulation considered to be hazardous waste? I
replaced a few feet of it in my attic and put the old stuff in my
regular trash barrel... and the trash crew didn't take it. They emptied
out the stuff in the top half of the barrel, but they left the
insulation below it. Some googling finds people talking about having to
treat the disposal of old loose blow-in insulation with care, but not
much is said about fibreglass batting. Do I have to treat it specially?

I would suspect that the issue isn't that it's fiberglass insulation,
but that it looks like construction debris. Here they won't take that.
It's not hazardous waste. But whatever we think doesn't matter, what
counts is what the local disposal people say the rules are. It's possible
they will accept it at one of their sites, with a fee. Here, you can
get rid of small amounts of construction debris by taking it to the
municipal facility and paying a fee. The fee starts at $5 for a garbage
can size. Another mistake you made was that it sounds like you just
put it in there exposed. If you put it in a garbage bag, they almost
certainly would have taken it. You could mix it in with regular trash,
in garbage bags, a little at a time.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/6/2019 1:08 PM, Nil wrote:
Is fibreglass batting insulation considered to be hazardous waste? I
replaced a few feet of it in my attic and put the old stuff in my
regular trash barrel... and the trash crew didn't take it. They emptied
out the stuff in the top half of the barrel, but they left the
insulation below it. Some googling finds people talking about having to
treat the disposal of old loose blow-in insulation with care, but not
much is said about fibreglass batting. Do I have to treat it specially?

Fiberglass is not a hazardous waste.

Maybe it did not fall out of the can when they turned it over. I'd bag
it up in a regular trash bag and try again.

I had a similar problem with an old tomato cage taken out of the recycle
can even though iron is recyclable. I clipped it up, put it in a trash
bag in the regular trash and they took it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/6/19 1:08 PM, Nil wrote:
Is fibreglass batting insulation considered to be hazardous waste? I
replaced a few feet of it in my attic and put the old stuff in my
regular trash barrel... and the trash crew didn't take it. They emptied
out the stuff in the top half of the barrel, but they left the
insulation below it. Some googling finds people talking about having to
treat the disposal of old loose blow-in insulation with care, but not
much is said about fibreglass batting. Do I have to treat it specially?

The democrats around here just take it for a midnight ride on a moonless night.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 01/06/2019 11:08 AM, Nil wrote:
Is fibreglass batting insulation considered to be hazardous waste? I
replaced a few feet of it in my attic and put the old stuff in my
regular trash barrel... and the trash crew didn't take it.

It isn't hazardous by any definition I know of but as you probably know
if you removed it, it can be miserable stuff to work with. Maybe the
trash crew didn't want to spend the day itching.

I agree with Frank though. They dumped the container and it didn't fall
out by itself. Even if they manually dumped the container it wouldn't be
heavy enough to attract attention.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Nil writes:

Is fibreglass batting insulation considered to be hazardous waste? I
replaced a few feet of it in my attic and put the old stuff in my
regular trash barrel... and the trash crew didn't take it. They emptied
out the stuff in the top half of the barrel, but they left the
insulation below it. Some googling finds people talking about having to
treat the disposal of old loose blow-in insulation with care, but not
much is said about fibreglass batting. Do I have to treat it specially?

Trash men won't pick up construction debris.
That's why they left that stuff.

Fiberglass is just that glass.
The fibers can be irritating, and you don't want to get them in your
eyes or lungs. I think they'll send it to the landfill.

The trash people probably want you to call and arrange a pick up and
pay a fee. If you have enough stuff, Bagster is pretty cool.

--
Dan Espen
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/6/19 1:08 PM, Nil wrote:
Is fibreglass batting insulation considered to be hazardous waste? I
replaced a few feet of it in my attic and put the old stuff in my
regular trash barrel... and the trash crew didn't take it. They emptied
out the stuff in the top half of the barrel, but they left the
insulation below it. Some googling finds people talking about having to
treat the disposal of old loose blow-in insulation with care, but not
much is said about fibreglass batting. Do I have to treat it specially?

https://recyclenation.com/2014/09/recycle-fiberglass/

http://www.greenenergytimes.org/2017...omment-page-1/

https://www.hunker.com/13401157/how-...ass-insulation
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 6 Jan 2019 14:38:03 -0700, rbowman wrote:

I agree with Frank though. They dumped the container and it didn't fall
out by itself. Even if they manually dumped the container it wouldn't be
heavy enough to attract attention.

+1

Had a conversation with the truck driver. Asked him to shake the
trash container better next time.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 06 Jan 2019 13:08:44 -0500, Nil
wrote:

Is fibreglass batting insulation considered to be hazardous waste? I
replaced a few feet of it in my attic and put the old stuff in my
regular trash barrel... and the trash crew didn't take it. They emptied
out the stuff in the top half of the barrel, but they left the
insulation below it. Some googling finds people talking about having to
treat the disposal of old loose blow-in insulation with care, but not
much is said about fibreglass batting. Do I have to treat it specially?

Put it a black yard waste bag and set it out with the trash. They
probably just want to be handling it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 06 Jan 2019 17:35:07 -0500, Dan Espen wrote:

Nil writes:

Is fibreglass batting insulation considered to be hazardous waste? I
replaced a few feet of it in my attic and put the old stuff in my
regular trash barrel... and the trash crew didn't take it. They emptied
out the stuff in the top half of the barrel, but they left the
insulation below it. Some googling finds people talking about having to
treat the disposal of old loose blow-in insulation with care, but not
much is said about fibreglass batting. Do I have to treat it specially?

Trash men won't pick up construction debris.
That's why they left that stuff.

I think it's hit or miss. Last week I had 4 exterior doors installed - entries and storms.
The installer wanted 30 bucks a door to take them. I told them to put them on the curb by
my garage driveway. Local metal scavengers took the aluminum storms right away.
The wood doors, framing and casings sat overnight, but were gone next morning, which was
trash pickup day. I didn't see them take it, but assume it was the regular trash pickup.
Saved me cutting it all up.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 06 Jan 2019, trader_4 wrote in
alt.home.repair:

I would suspect that the issue isn't that it's fiberglass
insulation, but that it looks like construction debris.

Seems to me you can look at half the trash in my can and consider it to
be "construction debris". In this case there was only about a quarter
of a barrel of the stuff, so I hope that wasn't the reason they didn't
take it. Especially since I plan to replace some more of the insulation
over the next few weeks and throw away the old.

I did stuff it into a bag, so they will probably won't give it another
thought. I hate to play games like that, and it's a waste of a plastic
bag.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 06 Jan 2019, Frank "frank wrote in alt.home.repair:

Maybe it did not fall out of the can when they turned it over.
I'd bag it up in a regular trash bag and try again.

That might be what happened. There was a chunk in the bottom that was
sort of stuck, but it looked almost like they may have dumped some, the
put it BACK in the barrel! I'm probably being paranoid.

I bagged it up and will try again.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 06 Jan 2019, rbowman wrote in
alt.home.repair:

It isn't hazardous by any definition I know of but as you probably
know if you removed it, it can be miserable stuff to work with.
Maybe the trash crew didn't want to spend the day itching.

They wouldn't have to have touched it, just give the barrel a second
shake. But I know from observation that they don't try too hard, and
this was after the New Year holiday, so maybe they were hurrying to
catch up.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 01/07/2019 04:13 PM, Nil wrote:
On 06 Jan 2019, Frank "frank wrote in alt.home.repair:

Maybe it did not fall out of the can when they turned it over.
I'd bag it up in a regular trash bag and try again.

That might be what happened. There was a chunk in the bottom that was
sort of stuck, but it looked almost like they may have dumped some, the
put it BACK in the barrel! I'm probably being paranoid.

Do they touch the barrel? Around here the trucks have articulated arms
that pick the containers up and dump them. Comes out, doesn't come out,
they don't know or care. Set it back down and drive on to the next one.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 07 Jan 2019, rbowman wrote in
alt.home.repair:

Do they touch the barrel? Around here the trucks have articulated
arms that pick the containers up and dump them. Comes out, doesn't
come out, they don't know or care. Set it back down and drive on
to the next one.

Trash is still picked up here by a guy with his own two hands, which is
why I think he intentionally left the stuff in the barrel, for whatever
reason. The recycle bin is picked up every two weeks by one of those
trucks-with-arms.