Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb[_3_] dpb[_3_] is offline

Default American Chestnut

On 1/4/2019 11:08 AM, Sonny wrote:

I assume you're asking about #2, that the western trees were hybrids. Maybe not all the trees were hybrids. Pioneers may have planted original trees. As to the Proceedings write-up, the very beginning, "The Devastation of the American Chestnut by Blight", on page 2 left lower column. From this, I'm assuming at least some of the trees were hybrids and probably some of this planting/transplanting carried the fungus, there, in some way.

Yeah, that was what caught my eye...

I don't believe that's _quite_ what they're saying...that the Western
infected stock was of "American, European, and Asian origin" isn't
saying they were hybrids...not all American chestnut, yes, but not hybrids.

Sorta' minor point and asked not to argue but that I was really curious
if it pointed out that there had been such extensive efforts to
hybridize that early against the disease; but what this says matches up
with my understanding that that didn't happen until beginning after that
time with the efforts in NY and PA other that previous efforts aimed for
commercial enhanced nut production, not for disease resistance nor lumber.

There were efforts for commercial nut production in CA and rest of west
coast quite early; those were ready fodder for the blight when it got
into the region via essentially the same path as the east coast;
ordered-in oriental stock that was natively resistant but contained the
spores or nonfatal growth. There just weren't so many as east so didn't
make the major natural disaster of the east and so isn't as well known
to have happened which probably also helped to spread the general idea
that there isn't the infection in the west...and there are probably
still large areas for which that is true, but they'll be all those
places that simply aren't suitable for the chestnut to grow or in which
they've never been introduced and nobody built a house and ordered in
any orientals for they yard would be my guess.

With all the confusing (for me) info, I began to reason I should just select "X" and give it a try. So, that's where I'm at. After speaking with Willis Orchards and the Ashville folks, I'm a little more confident with selecting the Willis Orchard seedlings. These may be better adapted for the southern climate, soil, etc.

I think that's really the best you _can_ do, yes. Did the Willis people
give you any indication of where there root stock is coming from and
what they/the providers of same have done to promote resistance? Their
web site is entirely mum on the subject only talking of the climate
adaptability aspects.

Not heard any more from the daughter on whether she can find out
anything else on the origin of the two in Tumwater...I'm still guessing
those were "Christmas nuts" somebody just planted once upon a time...