Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb[_3_] dpb[_3_] is offline

Default American Chestnut

On 1/2/2019 7:40 AM, Sonny wrote:
On Tuesday, January 1, 2019 at 2:56:08 PM UTC-6, dpb wrote:

West of the Rockies, any chestnut you find is an exotic; they aren't
native. You can probably eliminate the Tumwater specimens as being
hybrids simply from their age as before anybody was working on the
project.

In that link, the guy was a visitor, vacationing I assume. No relevant info about the tree.

2:56:08 PM UTC-6, dpb wrote:

West of the Rockies, any chestnut you find is an exotic; they aren't
native. You can probably eliminate the Tumwater specimens as being
hybrids simply from their age as before anybody was working on the
project.

In that link, the guy was a visitor, vacationing I assume. No relevant info about the tree.

Yeah, I noticed that they were from VA, I believe...

Daughter just sent a picture -- _much_ better resolution and explains a
lot--those were massively cropped back to nothing but stubs quite a long
time ago; the pictures they took pretty much disguise the fact or don't
show the damaged sections at all. Given that, it's no wonder they don't
look like much; who know what may have been done even earlier?

If you look at the one image that duplicates the silhouette in the
Discover article, then knowing it you can clearly see the size
difference...I kinda' noticed a little of that in one or two, but hadn't
realized the whole thing had been totally butchered...and in Cindy's
picture, looks to me like this wasn't the first time, either...note
particularly the large knob at the end of the smallish branch off to the
right of the LH specimen...