Posted to rec.woodworking
Sonny Sonny is offline

Default American Chestnut

On Tuesday, January 1, 2019 at 2:56:08 PM UTC-6, dpb wrote:

West of the Rockies, any chestnut you find is an exotic; they aren't
native. You can probably eliminate the Tumwater specimens as being
hybrids simply from their age as before anybody was working on the
project.

In that link, the guy was a visitor, vacationing I assume. No relevant info about the tree.

I don't recall where I read it, but one source mentioned the pioneers planting original specimens when they went west, hence not hybridized. The article mentioned the fungus not migrating beyond the Rockies. I have no idea if, since that writing, if the fungus has moved west. I like to think there are still fungus free trees or nuts to be had.

I haven't called/contacted the Georgia firm, but will today, and find out just what stock they have. Their listings state "authentic product", but that may not necessarily mean fungus free. I need to know exactly what "authentic" means and relative to the fungus. One would assume if they are fungus free or hybrid free, then the Chestnut Foundation folks would be aware, hence these trees are suspect.
https://www.willisorchards.com/produ...e#.XCqpVFxKiUn

Sonny