Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y,alt.electronics,alt.sci.physics
dkol dkol is offline

Default Slow microwave ovens

"Commander Kinsey" wrote in message
news
On Tue, 01 Jan 2019 13:00:40 -0000, wrote:

On Monday, December 31, 2018 at 5:39:43 PM UTC-5, Commander Kinsey wrote:
On Mon, 31 Dec 2018 11:34:40 -0000, wrote:

On Sunday, December 30, 2018 at 3:24:35 PM UTC-5, William Gothberg
wrote:
On Sun, 30 Dec 2018 20:20:18 -0000, trader_4
wrote:

On Sunday, December 30, 2018 at 12:16:27 PM UTC-5, William Gothberg
wrote:
On Sun, 30 Dec 2018 10:21:46 -0000, Max Demian
wrote:

On 30/12/2018 03:18, Bill Wright wrote:
On 29/12/2018 17:35, William Gothberg wrote:
On Sat, 29 Dec 2018 17:15:05 -0000, Bill Wright
wrote:

On 29/12/2018 16:27, William Gothberg wrote:

It can take 5 minutes to warm something from frozen to
eating
temperature. I see no reason that couldn't be made into 2
minutes.

Conduction

Which would be way faster if the water content the microwaves
were
hitting was heated hotter.

But the difference in temp between the outside and the inside
of the
food would be greater and this could result in food that was
both over-
and under-cooked. This is why microwave ovens have low
settings, so food
can cook slowly and evenly. Anyone who uses a microwave a lot
will be
well aware of this. For items where convection can assist
conduction
higher power can be fine, but not for large solid lumps of
food.

I can't say many things I cook have large solid lumps. All ready
meals are pretty much fluid, so convection and conduction can take
place, and almost everything I cook is a dish of something which
is only 2 inches deep.

I don't know what the low settings are for. All the instructions
I've
seen - e.g. on ready meals - say "full power". There is the
defrost
setting, but microwaves aren't very good at defrosting as they
don't
heat frozen water very well.

Mine thaws a frozen (already cooked) pizza extremely well, on full
power. It turns a -20C pizza into a +40C pizza in 4 minutes.

Only a moron would cook a pizza in a microwave.

No, anyone who wants it ready more quickly. I buy the frozen pizza
in the supermarket, place it in the microwave, then I can eat it in 4
minutes.

Why would you think pizzas shouldn't go in microwaves?! Every
foodstuff can be cooked in a microwave.

Because some of us are more interested in good results than in speed.

When I want pizza, I make the crust from scratch, wait for it to rise,
shape it, top it, and bake it at 550 F.

And your stomach is happy to wait?!

Sure. I plan ahead, and the pizza is ready when my stomach is.

When I see food, I get hungry, it's a natural instinct. Therefore I
cannot prepare food without consuming half the ingredients during the
cooking operation.

Yes, you actually are that terminal a ****wit.

If I want something fast, I have scrambled eggs.

I always want something fast,

Just another stupid little kid that must have everything right away.

therefore I cook EVERYTHING in a microwave.

Yes, you actually are that terminal a ****wit.

Even things that say you have to use an oven, I ignore it and use the
microwave,

Yes, you actually are that terminal a ****wit.

funnily enough it tastes nice and is edible.

Tastes much better when done the right way
with all except boiled veg and a few other things.