Ed Sirett

Default BG Central Heating breakdown care

On Mon, 29 Dec 2003 18:28:55 +0000, ARWadsworth wrote:

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
The advertising is very good.

It is excellent. On the advert Ricky Tomlinson says "we do not need to be
here" and never was a truer word spoken.

Also anyone that remote is not on mains gas, bulk LPG tanks or even Oil!

Have you noticed they have now added a bit of 'small print' something
about 'safety checks still being required' - but it is only displayed for
a moment so I have not looked at it very closely.

As for the OP problem.
1) There is a culture and public perception that boilers need servicing
and whilst I agree that an annual quick safety check is a good idea it
really is quite unnecessary to pull a contemporary boiler apart annually.
Most can years before needing a good overhaul.

2) There is also a culture of never touching a gas fire and these really
do need to be looked after much more than they generally get.

3) Sniffing the flue gases with a gas analyser might well be good enough
as PART OF an annual check. What else needs doing will depend on the type
of equipment - there is little to check on a modern boiler but at the very
least the burner pressure must be checked.

Older boilers with a thermocouple should have the time between the pilot
flame going out to moment the gas valve 'clunks' out measured.
60s is the maximum, whilst there is no minimum times under 5 seconds could
suggest a nearly expired thermocouple which will save a lot of hassle if
it is replaced right away. Also the valve going clunk is not guarantee
that the valve has shut off so that should also be checked - as they get
older some valves get very sticky inside.

Much older boilers with open flues will need careful checking with
smoke matches every year, and they temd to pick up a lot of dirt so theyt
need stripping down most years.

The FAQ for uk.diy is at www.diyfaq.org.uk