Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y,alt.electronics,alt.sci.physics
William Gothberg[_3_] William Gothberg[_3_] is offline

Default Slow microwave ovens

On Mon, 31 Dec 2018 13:29:15 -0000, trader_4 wrote:

On Sunday, December 30, 2018 at 3:22:52 PM UTC-5, William Gothberg wrote:
On Sun, 30 Dec 2018 20:16:33 -0000, Mark Lloyd wrote:

On 12/29/18 12:52 PM, William Gothberg wrote:

[snip]

Microwaving something in a cheap **** plastic container is insane. I
always cook or eat things in a real pot bowl. Plastic melts!

The first thing I heated in a microwave was frozen macaroni and cheese.
The instructions said to cover it in plastic wrap. It didn't take me
long to figure out that it was a really bad idea, consider trying to
separate melted plastic from melted cheese.

Indeed, that cheap **** plastic melts in a 700W microwave oven. Or in any microwave oven, it can't handle boiling water, which inevitably you get from the food. And I bet it's rather toxic.

Which is why when DEFROSTING something that's in a plastic container you
use the DEFROST cycle that uses low power and then cycles even that after
about 75 secs.

I'm not talking about defrosting. I've bought ready meals which are sat at room or fridge temperature, they go in the microwave to heat and the plastic melts.

You've said you just use yours for cooking pre-made
frozen dinners and the like, which is crap I wouldn't even eat.

It's more tasty and quicker to make :-)

Others here use microwaves for other uses, including defrosting raw foods that
you don't want to cook in the microwave. I gave you an example, pork chops.
I want them DEFROSTED, not cooked. Once DEFROSTED, I can then brine them,
marinate them, grill them, so what I would with any fresh pork chops.

What a palava. We invented ready meals for a reason.

Or defrosting tomato sauce that in a plastic container. I want the sauce
DEFROSTED, not a melted container. I suppose I should only freeze foods
in ceramic bowls that go in a microwave?

You take them out of the container they were in dumbass.