Posted to alt.sci.physics,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default Slow microwave ovens

"Max Demian" wrote in message
o.uk...
On 30/12/2018 03:18, Bill Wright wrote:
On 29/12/2018 17:35, William Gothberg wrote:
On Sat, 29 Dec 2018 17:15:05 -0000, Bill Wright
wrote:

On 29/12/2018 16:27, William Gothberg wrote:

It can take 5 minutes to warm something from frozen to eating
temperature. I see no reason that couldn't be made into 2 minutes.

Conduction

Which would be way faster if the water content the microwaves were
hitting was heated hotter.

But the difference in temp between the outside and the inside of the food
would be greater and this could result in food that was both over- and
under-cooked. This is why microwave ovens have low settings, so food can
cook slowly and evenly. Anyone who uses a microwave a lot will be well
aware of this. For items where convection can assist conduction higher
power can be fine, but not for large solid lumps of food.

I don't know what the low settings are for. All the instructions I've
seen - e.g. on ready meals - say "full power".

That's only true of heating microwave dinners etc.

Have a look at the instructions for doing rice
in a microwave, they don't say full power.

There is the defrost setting, but microwaves aren't very good at
defrosting as they don't heat frozen water very well.

That is just plain wrong. You do have to avoid cooking
what you are defrosting but a microwave does heat frozen
water just as well as not frozen water. Try it with an ice cube.