Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default The Great Smart Meter Swindle

On 24/12/2018 12:51, Robin wrote:
On 24/12/2018 11:12, wrote:
Seems there's more to it than has been discussed on here
The Great Smart Meter Swindle
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gYPwrbpAHbk

Someone more or less forced me to skim that some time ago.Â* Why would
you take seriously someone who propagates "An attacker who controls the
meter also controls its software, allowing them to literally blow the
meter up"?

That is rather funny. What the dodgy smart meters do permit is for a
sufficiently advanced adversary to thrash controllable load on and off
the national grid in very large chunks sufficient to cause blackpouts
and possibly damage generating equipment and trip out circuit breakers.
The present generation are too weakly encrypted to be considered safe
(but it is a threat to the infrastructure not the homeowner).

All the people I know where the installation droid has turned up to
install a smart meter have not had one installed because there was no
mobile phone signal to take the readings away. Odd that they don't check
for network coverage before sending someone out to install them!

--
Regards,
Martin Brown