Posted to alt.home.repair
KenK KenK is offline

Default Nissan door problems

Oren wrote in
:

On Wed, 19 Dec 2018 13:55:52 -0500, wrote:

On 19 Dec 2018 14:19:53 GMT, KenK wrote:

I'm having occasional problems turning the key in my drivers 2012
Nissan (30K miles) door, the only one with a lock. Took it to
locksmith, they either don't work on cars or want me to remove handle
and bring it in. How do I drive it there with no latch on driver's
door - no second vehicle? Tried graphite. May have helped but
planning ahead. Hate to take it to Nissan. $$$
Any suggestions?
TIA

You seem to have 2 un-related problems :

1. key turning in lock
2. door fails to latch when you close it

Premature key failure can be caused by a couple common
bad habits .... or by owning an old Saturn.
: heavy junk on the key chain dangling & swinging around
when the key is in use
: forcing the key in the ignition - when you park with pressure
on the ignition lock - due to front wheels being turned -
the next time you try to start the car - the key is hard to turn until
you release the steering wheel pressure.
Try your spare key to see if it works better - if so - get a new key
cut from the spare.
Door failing to latch can be door alignment/sag/loose latch ;
if everything is lined-up and solid - sometimes a generous lube spray
on the latch will help. too much graphite will cause build-up & make
it worse in freezing weather ..
John T.

All good commentary.

The graphite in a desert is not a good idea.

That's a new fact to me. Why?

Perhaps spray the lock
with Teflon spray cleaning the powder and/or dirt out.

OP may have a door lock actuator going wonky. Requires the door panel
be removed for R&R.

As to a new, secondary key, cut them from the code; normally in the
owner's booklet.