Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Nissan door problems

I'm having occasional problems turning the key in my drivers 2012 Nissan
(30K miles) door, the only one with a lock. Took it to locksmith, they
either don't work on cars or want me to remove handle and bring it in. How
do I drive it there with no latch on driver's door - no second vehicle?

Tried graphite. May have helped but planning ahead. Hate to take it to
Nissan. $$$

Any suggestions?

TIA

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, December 19, 2018 at 9:19:57 AM UTC-5, KenK wrote:
I'm having occasional problems turning the key in my drivers 2012 Nissan
(30K miles) door, the only one with a lock. Took it to locksmith, they
either don't work on cars or want me to remove handle and bring it in. How
do I drive it there with no latch on driver's door - no second vehicle?

Tried graphite. May have helped but planning ahead. Hate to take it to
Nissan. $$$

Any suggestions?

TIA

Does it seem like a problem with the lock cylinder, or moving the rest
of what it's attached to? For example, if the pins/lock part is having
a problem, I'd expect that it won't even start to turn. If it starts
to turn a bit, then I'd suspect the problem isn't the cylinder, but
maybe what it's attacked to and has to move.

I would search on Youtube for videos on removing the door panel, working
on the locks, replacing the glass, etc for your model or similar. If
you know how they come apart, it's not hard. The hard part is knowing
where all the screws are that hold it on. If you take it apart, you can
very likely get it to work without the cylinder so you can drive it.
Just make sure you can open and reclose the door. You might get luck and
it could just need a touch of grease in the right spot.

Also, if you're going to take it apart, look at the videos and also pull
up a parts diagram for the car, if you can. They typically use a combination
of some screws and plastic push pin type fasteners. When you take it off,
it's common to break some of the plastic fasteners. Buying 6 of them
ahead of time would be a good idea. But even without, there are usually
enough that you can put it back together OK without a few. To get to the
lock cylinder you'll probably have to remove the airbag, if it has one.
It's no big deal, the suggested method is to disconnect the battery cable
before doing it for extra safety.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/19/18 9:19 AM, KenK wrote:
I'm having occasional problems turning the key in my drivers 2012 Nissan
(30K miles) door, the only one with a lock. Took it to locksmith, they
either don't work on cars or want me to remove handle and bring it in. How
do I drive it there with no latch on driver's door - no second vehicle?

Tried graphite. May have helped but planning ahead. Hate to take it to
Nissan. $$$

Any suggestions?

TIA

Try to find a hungrier locksmith?

--
Ever notice the shortage of "armed law-abiding citizen victim tragedy
stories in the news?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 19 Dec 2018 14:19:53 GMT, KenK wrote:

I'm having occasional problems turning the key in my drivers 2012 Nissan
(30K miles) door, the only one with a lock. Took it to locksmith, they
either don't work on cars or want me to remove handle and bring it in. How
do I drive it there with no latch on driver's door - no second vehicle?
Tried graphite. May have helped but planning ahead. Hate to take it to
Nissan. $$$
Any suggestions?
TIA

You seem to have 2 un-related problems :

1. key turning in lock
2. door fails to latch when you close it

Premature key failure can be caused by a couple common
bad habits .... or by owning an old Saturn.
: heavy junk on the key chain dangling & swinging around
when the key is in use
: forcing the key in the ignition - when you park with pressure
on the ignition lock - due to front wheels being turned -
the next time you try to start the car - the key is hard to turn until
you release the steering wheel pressure.
Try your spare key to see if it works better - if so - get a new key
cut from the spare.
Door failing to latch can be door alignment/sag/loose latch ;
if everything is lined-up and solid - sometimes a generous lube spray
on the latch will help. too much graphite will cause build-up & make
it worse in freezing weather ..
John T.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, December 19, 2018 at 1:52:10 PM UTC-5, wrote:
On 19 Dec 2018 14:19:53 GMT, KenK wrote:

I'm having occasional problems turning the key in my drivers 2012 Nissan
(30K miles) door, the only one with a lock. Took it to locksmith, they
either don't work on cars or want me to remove handle and bring it in. How
do I drive it there with no latch on driver's door - no second vehicle?
Tried graphite. May have helped but planning ahead. Hate to take it to
Nissan. $$$
Any suggestions?
TIA

You seem to have 2 un-related problems :

1. key turning in lock
2. door fails to latch when you close it

IDK where you came up with #2? His comments about driving without the
door latched were about driving to the locksmith with the cylinder
after he removes it from the door. And as I posted, very likely he
can drive it there with the door panel off and the cylinder out, with
the door closed and latched normally.

Premature key failure can be caused by a couple common
bad habits .... or by owning an old Saturn.
: heavy junk on the key chain dangling & swinging around
when the key is in use
: forcing the key in the ignition - when you park with pressure
on the ignition lock - due to front wheels being turned -
the next time you try to start the car - the key is hard to turn until
you release the steering wheel pressure.
Try your spare key to see if it works better - if so - get a new key
cut from the spare.
Door failing to latch can be door alignment/sag/loose latch ;
if everything is lined-up and solid - sometimes a generous lube spray
on the latch will help. too much graphite will cause build-up & make
it worse in freezing weather ..
John T.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 19 Dec 2018 13:55:52 -0500, wrote:

[...]

All good commentary.

The graphite in a desert is not a good idea. Perhaps spray the lock
with Teflon spray cleaning the powder and/or dirt out.

OP may have a door lock actuator going wonky. Requires the door panel
be removed for R&R.

As to a new, secondary key, cut them from the code; normally in the
owner's booklet.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/19/2018 1:55 PM, Oren wrote:
[...]

* You both seem to have missed the point that it's the DOOR lock that
he's having trouble with . My key to our '99 4Runner won't work the
passenger side door lock most of the time , occasionally I need to
jiggle it a bit on the drivers door - but our Toy has over 330.000 miles
on it , and I got the most worn key because my wife drives it most of
the time . KenK , lube might do the trick , or maybe your key is
slightly twisted or bent . First thing I'd do is get a new key cut as
suggested from the code - if you already have 2 keys , most chipped keys
can be programmed at home instead of paying someone a big wad of cash to
do it .

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

Posted to alt.home.repair

Press the open button on the fob.
Most times i get one door open with the fob. The pass side has no keyhole. Xterra.

If it is cold, heat the key with a bic.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 19 Dec 2018 14:19:53 GMT, KenK wrote:

I'm having occasional problems turning the key in my drivers 2012 Nissan
(30K miles) door, the only one with a lock. Took it to locksmith, they
either don't work on cars or want me to remove handle and bring it in. How
do I drive it there with no latch on driver's door - no second vehicle?

Tried graphite. May have helped but planning ahead. Hate to take it to
Nissan. $$$

Any suggestions?

TIA

Yes - take off the outside lock and leave the latch - they ARE
separate parts. Use the remote to unlock the door or don't lock the
car and enter from the passenger side to openthe driver's door untill
they fix it - or spend a few hundred on a new lock assy and have the
locksmith re-key it to match your key.

That's 2 answers for the price of one.
Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

I think you are reading something into his question. He's worried
about driving without a latch if he removes the handle. He doesn't
know anything about hoe the latch/lock works.

Mabee you don't either.

Posted to alt.home.repair

KenK wrote in
:

I'm having occasional problems turning the key in my drivers 2012
Nissan (30K miles) door, the only one with a lock. Took it to
locksmith, they either don't work on cars or want me to remove handle
and bring it in. How do I drive it there with no latch on driver's
door - no second vehicle?

Tried graphite. May have helped but planning ahead. Hate to take it to
Nissan. $$$

Any suggestions?

TIA

Forgot to mention. I have a brand new key also that I have not been
using. Just keep it in the glove department for emergencies. It has the
same problem.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 20 Dec 2018 17:21:07 GMT, KenK wrote:

KenK wrote in
:

I'm having occasional problems turning the key in my drivers 2012
Nissan (30K miles) door, the only one with a lock. Took it to
locksmith, they either don't work on cars or want me to remove handle
and bring it in. How do I drive it there with no latch on driver's
door - no second vehicle?
Tried graphite. May have helped but planning ahead. Hate to take it to
Nissan. $$$
Any suggestions?
TIA

Forgot to mention. I have a brand new key also that I have not been
using. Just keep it in the glove department for emergencies. It has the
same problem.

Good to know.
Are we to assume that it does not have power locks ?
therefore a Sentra or Versa ?
... and that the key is not chipped for security?
What is the locksmith going to do exactly ?
.... call Nissan and order a cylinder & keys and bill you
for his labour and their parts ?
Curious and curiouser ..
John T.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, December 20, 2018 at 1:49:04 PM UTC-5, wrote:
[...]

Presumably, even with a new cylinder for the door, he'd have to have a
locksmith or the dealer key it to the existing key. Otherwise he needs
to replace at least the ignition lock too. Unless you can somehow order
one that's already keyed by having the correct vehicle info? It's probably better idea for him to obtain the cylinder himself, or get a price for one
from the locksmith. Might find one at a better price online, including
Ebay, but he should make sure he knows what he's getting.

But first thing is to find out if it's really the cylinder, though that
appears likely. So, he should either look at Youtube videos as I suggested
to see how to take the door panel off, maybe there is a video for the
cylinder too. Or take it to a pro.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 20 Dec 2018 13:52:46 -0500, wrote:

[...]

Any locksmith worthy of the name can dissassemble if necessary,
clean lube and repair the cyl.

However, on my 23 year old Ford truck, all it takes to get it working
again when it gets balky is a good shot of a good penetrating oil (NOT
WD40). I've found both Deep Creep and Fluid Film have worked well, as
well as PB Blaster. I spray enough in to flush out anything that may
be causing the tumblers to stick.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on 19 Dec 2018 14:19:53 GMT, KenK
wrote:

I'm having occasional problems turning the key in my drivers 2012 Nissan
(30K miles) door, the only one with a lock. Took it to locksmith, they
either don't work on cars or want me to remove handle and bring it in. How
do I drive it there with no latch on driver's door - no second vehicle?

Tried graphite. May have helped but planning ahead. Hate to take it to
Nissan. $$$

Any suggestions?

TIA

I would be reluctant to take out the door cylinder or handle under any
circumstances, unless I was sure I could reinstall it. Taking it out
might be easier than putting it back in.

First you have to take off the inner door panel anyhow. Trader's firs
tquestion was a good one. Can you turn the key at all, meeaning 1) it's
the rest of the mechanism that is stuck. Or 2) you can't turn it even a
bit. If the first, when the panel is off, try to find what is
binding, though it's complicated, hidden by the metal parts of the inner
door, and not easy to tell.

If 2) cut a new one from the codes.

3) Do you have a remote. Just use that all the time. My key works fine
but I never use it. Press the remote once for drivers door, twice in a
row for all doors**.

If you do take out the cyclinder or the handle, if that will make the
handle not work, keep the window open so you can stand outside and open
the door from the inside.

**Strangely, the Toyota Solara convertible comes with a trunk t hat can
be opened with the fob and a mechanical release in front of the drivers
seat. Of course in a convertible, you need to disable the mechanical
release so that no one hops over the door or the trunk, opens the trunk
and steals everything in it. And it has a way to lock/disable it.

Then there is only the fob, no button on the dash. But I put one in.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Oren wrote in
:

[...]

That's a new fact to me. Why?

Perhaps spray the lock
with Teflon spray cleaning the powder and/or dirt out.

OP may have a door lock actuator going wonky. Requires the door panel
be removed for R&R.

As to a new, secondary key, cut them from the code; normally in the
owner's booklet.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Terry Coombs wrote in
news
[...]

Same problem with unused spare key.

First thing I'd do is get a new key cut
as suggested from the code - if you already have 2 keys , most chipped
keys can be programmed at home instead of paying someone a big wad of
cash to do it .

Posted to alt.home.repair

Thomas wrote in
:

Press the open button on the fob.

That works. But I hate to rely on the fob to get in all the time. No
backup anymore, which the fob was. fob battery?

Most times i get one door open with the fob. The pass side has no
keyhole. Xterra.

If it is cold, heat the key with a bic.

Doesn't get very cold. Rarely a degree or two below freezing. Problems
occuring in 70s.

Posted to alt.home.repair

snips

But I hate to rely on the fob to get in all the time. No
backup anymore, which the fob was. fob battery?

OK .. let me review -
: you have power locks that work fine & dandy
: you are worried about having to replace the battery in the fob
: so you are contemplating the job of removing door panels and
door locks, hiring locksmiths etc
ie: going to a great deal of trouble
AND wearing-out your expensive ignition key
in a sticky manual door lock ..
... when the power locks work fine ...
Seriously ?
John T.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 21 Dec 2018 16:56:42 GMT, KenK wrote:

The graphite in a desert is not a good idea.

That's a new fact to me. Why?

"Too much graphite will cause one or more pins to over-lift. It's okay
to flush it out..."

'... probably packed in the dirt, and with the graphite, made it pack
in tight so that it wont budge."

Prison locksmiths never use graphite and there are thousand of locks.
At least the people I talked with over the years.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, December 21, 2018 at 12:16:28 PM UTC-5, wrote:
snips

But I hate to rely on the fob to get in all the time. No
backup anymore, which the fob was. fob battery?

OK .. let me review -
: you have power locks that work fine & dandy
: you are worried about having to replace the battery in the fob
: so you are contemplating the job of removing door panels and
door locks, hiring locksmiths etc
ie: going to a great deal of trouble
AND wearing-out your expensive ignition key
in a sticky manual door lock ..
... when the power locks work fine ...
Seriously ?
John T.

I hear you. I don't understand what the big deal is either. When he
said the key doesn't work sometimes, I assumed it didn't have power
door locks. In cars with it, I've just about never used the key.
I guess part depends on what the real issue is. If when it's acting
up it just means more fiddling jiggling, but it can eventually be
opened, then I don't see the urgent need. If when it won't work it
means that it won't work again until you open and close the door
or something, then it's a potential problem. You could have a dead
battery and be in trouble. But still, it's questionable if it's
worth worrying about, even in that case.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on 21 Dec 2018 17:02:52 GMT, KenK
wrote:

Thomas wrote in
:

Press the open button on the fob.

That works. But I hate to rely on the fob to get in all the time. No
backup anymore, which the fob was. fob battery?

Carry a spare battery. They last a couple years, and iirc often give
warning that they are gettin weak, but carry one anyhow.

Most times i get one door open with the fob. The pass side has no
keyhole. Xterra.

If it is cold, heat the key with a bic.

Doesn't get very cold. Rarely a degree or two below freezing. Problems
occuring in 70s.

I can barely remember how my car worked then. '67 Pontiac.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 22 Dec 2018 01:54:40 -0000 (UTC), Wayne Boatwright
wrote:

On Fri 21 Dec 2018 04:57:41p, micky told us...

In alt.home.repair, on 21 Dec 2018 17:02:52 GMT, KenK
wrote:

Thomas wrote in
:

Press the open button on the fob.

That works. But I hate to rely on the fob to get in all the time.
No backup anymore, which the fob was. fob battery?

Carry a spare battery. They last a couple years, and iirc often
give warning that they are gettin weak, but carry one anyhow.

Most times i get one door open with the fob. The pass side has
no keyhole. Xterra.

If it is cold, heat the key with a bic.

Doesn't get very cold. Rarely a degree or two below freezing.
Problems occuring in 70s.

I can barely remember how my car worked then. '67 Pontiac.

There are no keyholes in any of our doors of our 2017 Honda Accord,
including the driver's door. You don't even have to push a button on
the fob to unlock the doors as long as it's within 1-1/2 to 2 feet
from the car. We each carry a fob, either in pocket or in a handbag.
The two fobs are unique, in that they are individually programmed and
in addition to unlocking the doors and the trunk, each fob will
adjust many features such as positioning the driver's seat. There is
also a remote start button on the fob that works within 500 feet from
the vehicle. All very handy.

The only button on the driver's door handle and the front passenger's
door handle is there to lock all the doors. It signals with a beep
and flashing light.

There is most likely a hidden key lock under a removeable trim piece
on one of the door handles

See https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4K700ibSNk

Similar to https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=id8fS3fVBlw - on a Nissan.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, December 21, 2018 at 8:54:43 PM UTC-5, Wayne Boatwright wrote:
On Fri 21 Dec 2018 04:57:41p, micky told us...

In alt.home.repair, on 21 Dec 2018 17:02:52 GMT, KenK
wrote:

Thomas wrote in
:

[...]

What do you do if the car battery goes dead?