Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default What is the best phone/net package in BT land?

On 20/12/2018 20:40, wrote:

I am moving out of the clutches of Hull's KCOM and into BT land in
Lincs and was wondering what was on offer for a basic phone
line/internet package up to 100MB per month - I currently pay £50 pm
to KCOM.

Personally I would avoid sky (basic service not too bad, but a bit
limited for more serious use),

talktalk (for all round general ****wittery!)

Not had much dealing with BT recently, so can't comment other than there
are better deals to be had. Their support was poor, but IIUC has
improved a bit.

Virgin business is ok (ish) if you can get cable.

IME plusnet are not bad - although support is not as good as it once was.

IDNet are very good, good support with a personal touch.

Zen & A&A also have very good reputations for support and quality of
service.

Since many are reselling the same physical service based on what
openreach can provide, it really comes down to service in the end.

Service means different things to different people, but at a basic level
they need to be good at the process of getting faults fixed.

Also note that the included offerings vary with providers...

Some can't offer fixed IP addresses (will not matter to many but
important to some).

Some don't include things like access to email servers.

Some will only do tech support if you are using their router.

Very few offer bundled usenet (plusnet being one of the few that still do).

Some go out of their way to make business use difficult - sky for
example supply a router than can't route VPN traffic.

The larger ISPs also tend to subscribe to the various blocking requests
from the powers that be. The smaller ISPs can claim exemption. So if you
want to access torrent index sites etc, that may be relevant.

--
Cheers,

John.

http://www.internode.co.uk |