Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default What is the best phone/net package in BT land?

I am moving out of the clutches of Hull's KCOM and into BT land in Lincs and was wondering what was on offer for a basic phone line/internet package up to 100MB per month - I currently pay £50 pm to KCOM.

TIA.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/12/2018 20:40, wrote:
I am moving out of the clutches of Hull's KCOM and into BT land in
Lincs and was wondering what was on offer for a basic phone
line/internet package up to 100MB per month - I currently pay £50 pm
to KCOM.

TIA.

Try
https://www.uswitch.com/broadband/co...ls_and_offers/

But check the ISP website(s) for better deals.
IME Plusnet are a better price and service than BT. YMMV

TalkTalk is best avoided unless you are a masochist.

The rest are much of a muchness these days.
Several are now BT with a different logo and paint job.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/12/2018 20:49, Martin Brown wrote:

TalkTalk is best avoided unless you are a masochist.

I use TalkTalk. The service is good and the people are nice.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/12/2018 20:40, wrote:
I am moving out of the clutches of Hull's KCOM and into BT land in
Lincs and was wondering what was on offer for a basic phone
line/internet package up to 100MB per month - I currently pay £50 pm
to KCOM.

TIA.

Try
https://www.uswitch.com/broadband/co...ls_and_offers/

But check the ISP website(s) for better deals.
IME Plusnet are a better price and service than BT. YMMV

TalkTalk is best avoided unless you are a masochist.

The rest are much of a muchness these days.
Several are now BT with a different logo and paint job.

Bear in mind that BT is in the numbers game. If you have issues you will
simply be fobbed off onto an Indian call center where someowne will read
te numpty scriopt for you to follow.

The smaller ISPs cost a little more, but offer far better support.

yes, they all use openreach kit, but its your ISP who has to contact
them for line faults.

--
I know that most men, including those at ease with problems of the
greatest complexity, can seldom accept even the simplest and most

Leo Tolstoy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/12/2018 03:13, Bill Wright wrote:
On 20/12/2018 20:49, Martin Brown wrote:

TalkTalk is best avoided unless you are a masochist.

I use TalkTalk. The service is good and the people are nice.

hahahaha

--
"Strange as it seems, no amount of learning can cure stupidity, and
higher education positively fortifies it."

- Stephen Vizinczey

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/12/2018 20:40, wrote:
I am moving out of the clutches of Hull's KCOM and into BT land in Lincs and was wondering what was on offer for a basic phone line/internet package up to 100MB per month - I currently pay £50 pm to KCOM.

TIA.

See
https://www.thinkbroadband.com/broadband-offers

But it does depend on where you are going and what you are willing to
pay for.

--
Michael Chare
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 21 December 2018 05:30:54 UTC, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
Bear in mind that BT is in the numbers game. If you have issues you will
simply be fobbed off onto an Indian call center where someowne will read
te numpty scriopt for you to follow.

If you shout "complaints" at the BT interactive voice response thing, it puts you through to micely-spoken people somewhere in southern England, with the brain cells and inclination to sort things out.

I got so many nuisance phone calls on TalkTalk, either they had a data breach ... oh hang on, they did have a data breach ... or their number range was targeted; then I tried Sky but their router doesn't play nicely with VoIP; and now I'm on EE which so far seems to work without issues.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Plusnet are not mostly owned by BT, how come they can actually offer more.

I'm more or less on the same as the writer but for virgin. One issue
generally is that nasty little word upto in the terms.

Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Martin Brown" wrote in message
news
On 20/12/2018 20:40,
wrote:
I am moving out of the clutches of Hull's KCOM and into BT land in
Lincs and was wondering what was on offer for a basic phone
line/internet package up to 100MB per month - I currently pay 50 pm
to KCOM.

TIA.

Try
https://www.uswitch.com/broadband/co...ls_and_offers/

But check the ISP website(s) for better deals.
IME Plusnet are a better price and service than BT. YMMV

TalkTalk is best avoided unless you are a masochist.

The rest are much of a muchness these days.
Several are now BT with a different logo and paint job.

--
Regards,
Martin Brown

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The problem with talk talk is that, yes they are but they do tend to have a
lack of joined up thinking and never learn from their mistakes. People have
been cut off by so called improvements and suddenly lose email etc.
They need to get their act together more.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Bill Wright" wrote in message
news
On 20/12/2018 20:49, Martin Brown wrote:

TalkTalk is best avoided unless you are a masochist.

I use TalkTalk. The service is good and the people are nice.

Bill

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/12/2018 03:13, Bill Wright wrote:
On 20/12/2018 20:49, Martin Brown wrote:

TalkTalk is best avoided unless you are a masochist.

I use TalkTalk. The service is good and the people are nice.

hahahaha

This is one of those very few times I'll agree completely with TNP. Talk
talk are a bunch of inept shysters who have a proven track record of
being ****ing useless. Whether it's getting their mail servers
blacklisted, having a huge data breach, or more mundane ****wittery, the
only thing you can rely on is that they will **** something up.

To the OP: consider plusnet or A&A if you don't mind paying for good
service.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/12/2018 08:59, Brian Gaff wrote:
Plusnet are not mostly owned by BT, how come they can actually offer more.

Mainly because they don't do their support from some third world country
using a VOIP with almost zero bandwidth. You get to speak to real people
in the UK who might or might not have a Yorkshire accent.

I'm more or less on the same as the writer but for virgin. One issue
generally is that nasty little word upto in the terms.

Brian

The trick is to wait for one of the deals to come along and then switch
to take advantage of it. I got my mum's switch from old legacy BT POTS
to Plusnet ADSL with the same weekend calls and a net saving!

--
Regards,
Martin Brown
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, December 21, 2018 at 9:24:26 AM UTC, Chris Bartram wrote:

To the OP: consider plusnet or A&A if you don't mind paying for good
service.

OK - Will do.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
I am moving out of the clutches of Hull's KCOM and into BT land in Lincs
and was wondering what was on offer for a basic phone line/internet
package up to 100MB per month - I currently pay £50 pm to KCOM.

almost everyone does unlimited now

and usually at much less than 50 quid

what special service are you currently buying that costs that 50 quid?

Plusnet are definitely the sweet spot being being reasonably priced and
offering good service for basic domestic needs - 30 quid, landline with
unlimited BB. If you are in a region that can have fibre it's (about) an
extra tenner,

but if you do need some special, more professional, service then Andrews and
Arnold is the place to go

https://www.aaisp.net.uk/

their basic service is BB only, landline extra.

both are just rebadged BT lines with better customer service

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/12/2018 09:50, tim... wrote:

wrote in message
[...]

I understand that Plusnet is actually owned by BT. I have been very
happy with their service over number of years, though of late they have
messed up their billing system, though that now seems sorted.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/12/2018 09:50, tim... wrote:

Plusnet are definitely the sweet spot being being reasonably priced and
offering good service for basic domestic needs - 30 quid, landline with
unlimited BB.* If you are in a region that can have fibre it's (about)
an extra tenner,

But be aware that, unless things have changed recently, Plusnet have two
different tariffs. The price you see in the adverts is for the the
majority of users who are on "low cost" exchanges. If you live out in
the sticks then, like me, you might be on a "Market 1" exchange and
Plusnet will charge you more.

Because of Plusnet's higher charge for my area I found Zen to be very
competitive at £35.40 per month for unlimited 17Mb/s ADSL and unlimited
inclusive phone calls to 01,02 & 03 numbers. I've found the UK based
tech support from Zen to be good with people who appear to know what
they're talking about.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Broadback
writes
I understand that Plusnet is actually owned by BT. I have been very
happy with their service over number of years, though of late they have
messed up their billing system, though that now seems sorted.

I'm also happy with Plusnet, and I know of several others round here
with them, all happy, as well. Their rebadged BT router denies you the
option of a local network in the 10.x.x.x range caused a bit of hassle
here, though.

I have a good friend who has been with at least 5 ISP's over the last
few years, and I've had to try to help him out a few times with visits
where I had to take over the support calls.
The dire ones were Talktalk and Onetel. I forget which one of those it
was that said " Oh where it says underscore in the username in the
letter we sent you, it should be a dot", but both were awful. He had
problems with Sky, I think mainly with accounts and increasing charges.
He is currently with Virgin on fibre, which works well and has been
reliable. The fibre drop across his front lawn was a bit of a gruelling
bodge job, though
--
Bill

---
https://www.avg.com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

buy an IMO Q2 for 19 from giffgaff unlocked delivered..and a card of your
choice

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jim GM4DHJ ..." wrote in message

buy an IMO Q2 for 19 from giffgaff unlocked delivered..and a card of your
choice

sorry i didn't read your post properly....but still a good deal...sorry

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/12/2018 08:59, Brian Gaff wrote:

Plusnet are not mostly owned by BT, how come they can actually offer more.

plusnet are owned totally by BT...

However they do seem to have retained some of their independence.

I'm more or less on the same as the writer but for virgin. One issue
generally is that nasty little word upto in the terms.

Physics is a bitch...

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

John Rumm wrote:

Brian Gaff wrote:

Plusnet are not mostly owned by BT, how come they can actually offer
more.

plusnet are owned totally by BT...

I think brian mis-typed "now"
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/12/2018 20:40, wrote:

I am moving out of the clutches of Hull's KCOM and into BT land in
Lincs and was wondering what was on offer for a basic phone
line/internet package up to 100MB per month - I currently pay £50 pm
to KCOM.

Personally I would avoid sky (basic service not too bad, but a bit
limited for more serious use),

talktalk (for all round general ****wittery!)

Not had much dealing with BT recently, so can't comment other than there
are better deals to be had. Their support was poor, but IIUC has
improved a bit.

Virgin business is ok (ish) if you can get cable.

IME plusnet are not bad - although support is not as good as it once was.

IDNet are very good, good support with a personal touch.

Zen & A&A also have very good reputations for support and quality of
service.

Since many are reselling the same physical service based on what
openreach can provide, it really comes down to service in the end.

Service means different things to different people, but at a basic level
they need to be good at the process of getting faults fixed.

Also note that the included offerings vary with providers...

Some can't offer fixed IP addresses (will not matter to many but
important to some).

Some don't include things like access to email servers.

Some will only do tech support if you are using their router.

Very few offer bundled usenet (plusnet being one of the few that still do).

Some go out of their way to make business use difficult - sky for
example supply a router than can't route VPN traffic.

The larger ISPs also tend to subscribe to the various blocking requests
from the powers that be. The smaller ISPs can claim exemption. So if you
want to access torrent index sites etc, that may be relevant.

--
Cheers,

John.

| Internode Ltd -
http://www.internode.co.uk |

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/12/2018 09:24, Chris Bartram wrote:
On 21/12/2018 03:13, Bill Wright wrote:
On 20/12/2018 20:49, Martin Brown wrote:

TalkTalk is best avoided unless you are a masochist.

I use TalkTalk. The service is good and the people are nice.

hahahaha

This is one of those very few times I'll agree completely with TNP. Talk
talk are a bunch of inept shysters who have a proven track record of
being ****ing useless. Whether it's getting their mail servers
blacklisted, having a huge data breach, or more mundane ****wittery, the
only thing you can rely on is that they will **** something up.

To the OP: consider plusnet or A&A if you don't mind paying for good
service.

Yep. In my head plusnet A&A IDnet and Zen are the go to for competent people

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/12/2018 09:36, Martin Brown wrote:
On 21/12/2018 08:59, Brian Gaff wrote:
Plusnet are not mostly owned by BT, how come they can actually offer
more.

Mainly because they don't do their support from some third world country
using a VOIP with almost zero bandwidth. You get to speak to real people
in the UK who might or might not have a Yorkshire accent.

yes. Everybody uses BT openreach cable for the last whatever BUT the two
things that differ are how much contention they put on and how good
their support is.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 21 Dec 2018 10:43:01 +0000
Mike Clarke wrote:

On 21/12/2018 09:50, tim... wrote:

Plusnet are definitely the sweet spot being being reasonably priced
and offering good service for basic domestic needs - 30 quid,
landline with unlimited BB.* If you are in a region that can have
fibre it's (about) an extra tenner,

But be aware that, unless things have changed recently, Plusnet have
two different tariffs. The price you see in the adverts is for the
the majority of users who are on "low cost" exchanges. If you live
out in the sticks then, like me, you might be on a "Market 1"
exchange and Plusnet will charge you more.

Because of Plusnet's higher charge for my area I found Zen to be very
competitive at £35.40 per month for unlimited 17Mb/s ADSL and
unlimited inclusive phone calls to 01,02 & 03 numbers. I've found the
UK based tech support from Zen to be good with people who appear to
know what they're talking about.

Another strong vote for Zen here. As well as great service, they keep on
forgetting to raise their prices...

--
Davey.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, December 21, 2018 at 9:52:13 AM UTC, tim... wrote:
wrote in message
I am moving out of the clutches of Hull's KCOM and into BT land in Lincs
and was wondering what was on offer for a basic phone line/internet
package up to 100MB per month - I currently pay £50 pm to KCOM.

almost everyone does unlimited now

and usually at much less than 50 quid

what special service are you currently buying that costs that 50 quid?

None, but living in the Hull area, I am tied to Kingston Communications so have to cough up whatever they are offering. See:

https://www.kcomhome.com/products/br...RoCrtAQAvD_BwE
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , The Natural Philosopher
writes

Yep. In my head plusnet A&A IDnet and Zen are the go to for competent people

+1 for Zen. Don't often have problems, but when we do, they are on the
ball, and the help people are in the UK. We pay around 50 per month for
phone and unlimited FTTC broadband.
--
Graeme

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/12/2018 10:48, Bill wrote:

He is currently with Virgin on fibre, which works well and has been
reliable. The fibre drop across his front lawn was a bit of a gruelling
bodge job, though

The one thing Virgin often do very badly is the drop cable from the
street to your house. Mine got cut by a contractor, and the replacement
was basically dropped accross my drive and the stone chippings swept
over it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

On 21/12/2018 09:36, Martin Brown wrote:
On 21/12/2018 08:59, Brian Gaff wrote:
Plusnet are not mostly owned by BT, how come they can actually offer
more.

Mainly because they don't do their support from some third world country
using a VOIP with almost zero bandwidth. You get to speak to real people
in the UK who might or might not have a Yorkshire accent.

yes. Everybody uses BT openreach cable for the last whatever BUT the two
things that differ are how much contention they put on and how good
their support is.

And don't forget traffic shaping. If you start with hardly any
bandwidth (600kb/s on a good day) traffic shaping can cause connections
to drop even when the ADSL doesn't. I know this because my ISP was
taken over by Talktalk.

--

Roger Hayter
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
wrote:
I am moving out of the clutches of Hull's KCOM and into BT land in Lincs
and was wondering what was on offer for a basic phone line/internet
package up to 100MB per month - I currently pay 50 pm to KCOM.

One tip not heavily promoted is to pay your line rental for a year in
advance. If you can afford to. Saves a lot more than you can earn in
interest easily.

--
*Taxation WITH representation ain't much fun, either.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Bill Wright wrote:
On 20/12/2018 20:49, Martin Brown wrote:

TalkTalk is best avoided unless you are a masochist.

I use TalkTalk. The service is good and the people are nice.

They must have improved *a lot* since I was with them. Regular loss of
broadband. 3 times or more a year. Taking days to sort.

And sent me emails saying they couldn't contact me by email. And replied
to my emails querying that. Then sent more of the same. I gave up banging
my head against their wall.

--
*I don't feel old. I don't feel anything until noon. Then it's time for my nap.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Chris Bartram wrote:
To the OP: consider plusnet or A&A if you don't mind paying for good
service.

I've been with BT for some 5 years now. Wouldn't know about their service
- never needed it. That's how I prefer things.

--
*Why are a wise man and a wise guy opposites? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT. May's cunning plan becomes apparent.

In article ,
Pamela wrote:
So really not much point in the WTO at all? If it has rules anyone can
break at any time?

You replied to Rod Speed posting as Tim J. I quickly discovered he
hasn't got a clue about WTO trade and he doesn't seem able to learn when
given the facts.

It that Wodney too? Odd how I missed him. I have pretty sensitive Woddar

--
*Be more or less specific *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bill submitted this idea :
I'm also happy with Plusnet, and I know of several others round here with
them, all happy, as well. Their rebadged BT router denies you the option of a
local network in the 10.x.x.x range caused a bit of hassle here, though.

You can install OpenWRT on that or the BT version, which is much less
limiting. I have seen the BT one on Ebay with OpenWRT already
installed, for not a lot..
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bill used his keyboard to write :
The dire ones were Talktalk and Onetel. I forget which one of those it was
that said " Oh where it says underscore in the username in the letter we sent
you, it should be a dot", but both were awful.

Talktalk support become even more useless if you have any but a minor
issue..
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/12/2018 10:48, Bill wrote:
In message , Broadback
writes
I understand that Plusnet is actually owned by BT. I have been very
happy with their service over number of years, though of late they
have messed up their billing system, though that now seems sorted.

I'm also happy with Plusnet, and I know of several others round here
with them, all happy, as well. Their rebadged BT router denies you the
option of a local network in the 10.x.x.x range caused a bit of hassle
here, though.

Thank you for mentioning that. The previous ADSL routers I have had from
Plusnet have allowed 10.x.x.x local networks.

--
Michael Chare