Posted to uk.d-i-y,alt.electronics,alt.home.repair
Rod Speed Rod Speed is offline

Default Do switch mode power supplies flicker in time with mains?

"William Gothberg" "William wrote in message
news
On Thu, 20 Dec 2018 09:36:02 -0000, Jon Fairbairn
wrote:

"William Gothberg" "William writes:
Agreed. All I can detect (with my digital camera) is that
one brand of LED light I have flickers about 5 times less
(not sure if it's smother or faster) than the others.

Try a longer exposure and move the light rapidly relative to the
camera.

I wonder, if I fed the lamps with mains voltage DC, simply a bridge
rectifier and a huge capacitor, they'd reduce their flicker.

Wont work at all if they use capacitor droppers and
they very likely do because those are the only cheap
droppers for dropping such a large voltage.

Very easy to try tho and see if it works.

The cheap **** LED lamp I have that actually flashes at 100Hz would most
likely get much brighter and burn out, so I'd have to adjust that, but the
others which only flicker 8% would just get 4% brighter.