Posted to alt.home.repair
Clare Snyder Clare Snyder is offline

Default Electrical Wiring Hot Water Heater

On Tue, 18 Dec 2018 17:42:31 -0500, wrote:

On Tue, 18 Dec 2018 01:07:46 -0500, Clare Snyder
wrote:

On Mon, 17 Dec 2018 11:05:32 -0500,
wrote:

On Mon, 17 Dec 2018 04:36:04 -0800 (PST), trader_4
wrote:

On Monday, December 17, 2018 at 1:00:00 AM UTC-5, wrote:
On Sun, 16 Dec 2018 15:33:13 -0600, Dean Hoffman
wrote:

On 12/16/18 3:16 PM, trader_4 wrote:

I'm using 10 gauge wire. Purchased 20 feet 4 x 10 gauge. Hot, hot, neutral
and ground. $1.96 per foot to be installed into 1/2" PVC conduit as the main
part of the run is outdoors. Metal Clad can be used outdoor only if protected.
PVC can be used indoors, outdoors and underground.

I thought I was missing something there. On another thing that got no response,
did you see where he said he bought the wire already and it's 3 conductors?
He said he's doing the WH and a 20A receptacle. I don't see how you can do
that to code. The problem is with 3 conductors, it's an Edison circuit.
So, it has to have a double pole breaker. If he uses a 20A double pole,
then he's not code compliant with the WH, though we agree that it's so close
to being legal, that it wouldn't bother us. If he uses a 25A double pole,
then he's Kosher with the WH, but then he has a single 20A receptacle on a
25A circuit, which isn't allowed either. Hope he can take that wire back
and get 4 conductor, unless I'm missing something. Funny how these simple
things can get complicated.

Four conductors.
Quote: Purchased 20 feet 4 x 10 gauge Hot, hot, neutral and ground.

What is he going to connect the 4th wire to?
This is a 120v water heater.
A hot, a neutral and a ground.

I guess you didn't read his post or the couple where I commented on it.
He said he was installing one 20A receptacle too. That lead to the problems
with breaker sizing an Edison circuit to support both. And now that I think
about it, maybe there is a more fundamental problem? Can you use an Edison
circuit to support both a hard wired load like a water heater and a
receptacle? I've only seen them used for receptacles.

There is nothing wrong with Multiwire circuits feeding one receptacle
and one piece of fixed in place equipment. He can also protect it with
a handle tied pair of breakers and they do not have to be the same
size. As has been stated several times a 20a breaker would work here.
I would not have a serious problem with 12ga wire but he already
bought the 10.
What is he using for a disconnect if this is not cord and plug?

Well, cord and plug would be EXTREMELY out of the ordinary,

Not for 120 volt units.

Not for 1500 watt 120 volt units, but for 2000 watt 20 gallon units
it is. Even a 1500 watt Whirlpool 20 gallon is "direct wire only"
The Richmond 2.5 gallon is a plug-in at 1440 watts.- - - the larger
120 volt units use 2000 watt and 4400 watt elements and are direct
wire only.