Posted to uk.d-i-y
Tim Lamb[_2_] Tim Lamb[_2_] is offline

Default Formula for teak oil

In message ,
harry writes
On Wednesday, 19 December 2018 12:26:00 UTC, wrote:
Back in my High School days about 1973 my woodwork teacher told us
about overpriced Teak Oil and gave us his recipe which worked well. I
think I've also made it with PolyUrethane instead of Varnish though
the project escapes me at the moment.

1/3 Boiled Linseed Oil
1/3 Varnish
1/3 Thinner

The problem I have now is in Southern Mexico I can not find Linseed
Oil of any type. Nor Tung Oil. The only items I've found are coloring
stains and Varnishes and Thinners. Also liquid poisons to treat
against termites which are common and reason for Concrete houses and
steel door frames.

Varnishes also seem to repel the termites

Tuesday, March 21, 2000 at 2:00:00 AM UTC-6, Alec Fry wrote:
Something I use quite a lot - and which always seems exorbitantly
expensive - is teak oil. I've often wondered if it's possible to make my
own, but I have never managed to discover the formula.

Recently I tried a mixture of 50% linseed oil and 50% white spirit which
seemed to work quite well. Does anyone know the "proper" formula,
please - I
imagine there must be some sort of preservative or fungicide added.

Alec

In South America, they soak timber in diesel oil to protect against termite.
Dunno how effective it is or how long it lasts.

Waste engine oil and creosote not uncommon.

--
Tim Lamb