Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Formula for teak oil

Back in my High School days about 1973 my woodwork teacher told us about overpriced Teak Oil and gave us his recipe which worked well. I think I've also made it with PolyUrethane instead of Varnish though the project escapes me at the moment.

1/3 Boiled Linseed Oil
1/3 Varnish
1/3 Thinner

The problem I have now is in Southern Mexico I can not find Linseed Oil of any type. Nor Tung Oil. The only items I've found are coloring stains and Varnishes and Thinners. Also liquid poisons to treat against termites which are common and reason for Concrete houses and steel door frames.

Varnishes also seem to repel the termites

Tuesday, March 21, 2000 at 2:00:00 AM UTC-6, Alec Fry wrote:
Something I use quite a lot - and which always seems exorbitantly
expensive - is teak oil. I've often wondered if it's possible to make my
own, but I have never managed to discover the formula.

Recently I tried a mixture of 50% linseed oil and 50% white spirit which
seemed to work quite well. Does anyone know the "proper" formula, please - I
imagine there must be some sort of preservative or fungicide added.

Alec

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 19 December 2018 12:26:00 UTC, wrote:
[...]

In South America, they soak timber in diesel oil to protect against termite..
Dunno how effective it is or how long it lasts.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/12/2018 12:25, wrote:
[...]

¡Hola de Argentina! Well, not right now but I spend a lot of time in
Buenos Aires and find similar problems to you when I'm there. Where
abouts are you in Southern Mexico? A few years ago I caught a bus in
Ottawa, Canada and didn't stop catching buses until I reached Buenos
Aires, Argentina (we'll skip over Darien - I did) and spent a few very
pleasant days in the Southern Mexico border town of Tapachula.

It would be useful to have an idea of what sort of products you are
working with - for reasons of scale and practicality. In the mean time,
have you exhausted all possibilities on mercadolibre? Amazon USA ship to
Mexico and have a wide range of finishing materials available though
frankly, if getting goods delivered into Mexico from abroad is only half
as expensive and half as complicated as it is in Argentina then it's a
bloomin' nightmare.

If you can tell me more about your projects I'll see if I can come up
with some ideas.

Nick
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/12/2018 15:24, www.GymRatZ.co.uk wrote:
Wow...

This has to be the record for oldest message dragged out of the archives
and responded to!
Your answer is almost 19 years late! I wonder if Alec is still looking
for an answer?

And it's not even a HomeownersHub response!

On 19/12/2018 12:25, wrote:
[...]

As you'll see from my recent answer, I take it that Alec is searching
for an answer today but has only been able to dig up an old post on the
subject. BICBW

Nick

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/12/18 15:24, www.GymRatZ.co.uk wrote:
Wow...

This has to be the record for oldest message dragged out of the archives
and responded to!
Your answer is almost 19 years late! I wonder if Alec is still looking
for an answer?

I wonder, teak oil generally has a warning on the container that
rags/clothes used to apply it/clean up can burst into flames.

I always soak such rags etc in water before disposal but I'm curious if
anyone has ever seen it happen?

--

Smile for the camera ;-)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxyL2_38EsQ
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 19 Dec 2018 16:08:22 +0000, Brian Reay wrote:

I always soak such rags etc in water before disposal but I'm curious if
anyone has ever seen it happen?

Yes. Rags left on melamine-coated chipboard outside, used to wipe up excess
linseed oil and a mix of linseed oil/white spirits.

Nothing left but a large black burnt spot one day later. Sun and a it being a
warm day probably contributed; it was maybe a double fistful of rags.

Soak them in water, burn them, seal them in a tin, but don't chuck them in the
workshop corner with the sawdust and planer chips, under the shelf with the
lacquer thinner.

Thomas Prufer
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/12/2018 16:08, Brian Reay wrote:
On 19/12/18 15:24, www.GymRatZ.co.uk wrote:
Wow...

This has to be the record for oldest message dragged out of the archives
and responded to!
Your answer is almost 19 years late! I wonder if Alec is still looking
for an answer?

I wonder, teak oil generally has a warning on the container that
rags/clothes used to apply it/clean up can burst into flames.

I always soak such rags etc in water before disposal but I'm curious if
anyone has ever seen it happen?

Some years ago I had completed sanding the oak floor in my extension and
given it a good first coat of oil. I put all the used abrasives, dust
from the sander bags, oily rags etc in a bin liner and left it outside
the back door. a couple of nights later I was sitting at the kitchen
table reading the paper when I noticed a blazing fire just outside the
back door, with orange flames six foot in the air, which seemed to have
just appeared from nowhere.

The catalysts which are the drying agents in finishing oils will
generate some vigorous oxidisation in the right circumstances, and in my
case the combination of dust, oil, rags and the closed bag meant that it
got hot enough to really smoulder and once the outer bag melted and the
air got in - whoosh.

TW
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Brian Reay writes
On 19/12/18 15:24, www.GymRatZ.co.uk wrote:
Wow...
This has to be the record for oldest message dragged out of the
archives
and responded to!
Your answer is almost 19 years late! I wonder if Alec is still looking
for an answer?

I wonder, teak oil generally has a warning on the container that
rags/clothes used to apply it/clean up can burst into flames.

I always soak such rags etc in water before disposal but I'm curious if
anyone has ever seen it happen?

Happens with glass fibre resin oxidiser.

Welding sparks setting paper towels smouldering is another workshop
hazard.

--
Tim Lamb

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message ,
harry writes
[...]

Waste engine oil and creosote not uncommon.

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/12/2018 20:03, Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , Brian Reay writes
On 19/12/18 15:24, www.GymRatZ.co.uk wrote:
Wow...
Â*This has to be the record for oldest message dragged out of the
archives
and responded to!
Your answer is almost 19 years late! I wonder if Alec is still looking
for an answer?

I wonder, teak oil generally has a warning on the container that
rags/clothes used to apply it/clean up can burst into flames.

I always soak such rags etc in water before disposal but I'm curious
if anyone has ever seen it happen?

Happens with glass fibre resin oxidiser.

Welding sparks setting paper towels smouldering is another workshop hazard.

And angle grinder sparks will ignite polyester boiler suits in the groin
area. DAMHIK.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Never saw the reply must be in my kill file.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"newshound" wrote in message
On 19/12/2018 20:03, Tim Lamb wrote:
In message , Brian Reay writes
On 19/12/18 15:24,
www.GymRatZ.co.uk wrote:
Wow...
This has to be the record for oldest message dragged out of the
archives
and responded to!
Your answer is almost 19 years late! I wonder if Alec is still looking
for an answer?

I wonder, teak oil generally has a warning on the container that
rags/clothes used to apply it/clean up can burst into flames.

I always soak such rags etc in water before disposal but I'm curious if
anyone has ever seen it happen?

Happens with glass fibre resin oxidiser.

Welding sparks setting paper towels smouldering is another workshop
hazard.

And angle grinder sparks will ignite polyester boiler suits in the groin
area. DAMHIK.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/12/2018 21:48, newshound wrote:

And angle grinder sparks will ignite polyester boiler suits in the groin
area. DAMHIK.

Ha Ha! Nice one!
TW
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , TimW
writes
On 21/12/2018 21:48, newshound wrote:

And angle grinder sparks will ignite polyester boiler suits in the
groin area. DAMHIK.

Ha Ha! Nice one!

Cotton is safer. Marginally:-(

--
Tim Lamb

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim Lamb" wrote in message
In message , TimW writes
On 21/12/2018 21:48, newshound wrote:

And angle grinder sparks will ignite polyester boiler suits in the groin
area. DAMHIK.

Ha Ha! Nice one!

Cotton is safer. Marginally:-(

Lot better than marginally in fact.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 21 Dec 2018 21:48:22 +0000
newshound wrote:

On 19/12/2018 20:03, Tim Lamb wrote:

Welding sparks setting paper towels smouldering is another workshop
hazard.

[...]

And angle grinder sparks will ignite polyester boiler suits in the
groin area. DAMHIK.

After years of showering my occasionally combusting jeans with welding
and grinding sparks I bought a leather apron.

Buyer wants to import teak logs, teak lumber, hardwood basilisk[_2_] Woodworking 1 December 8th 10 06:06 AM
Danish Oil or Teak Oil? Timothy Murphy[_2_] UK diy 4 October 2nd 09 06:44 PM
Teak oil vs. tung oil mark Woodworking 0 June 24th 08 05:24 PM
ECO-TEAK: A Big Fat Lie about teak outdoor furniture Akhter Home Ownership 0 December 20th 06 08:29 AM
ECO-TEAK: A Big Fat Lie about teak outdoor furniture. Akhter Woodworking 0 December 18th 06 09:39 AM