Posted to uk.d-i-y
TimW TimW is offline

Default Formula for teak oil

On 19/12/2018 16:08, Brian Reay wrote:
On 19/12/18 15:24, www.GymRatZ.co.uk wrote:
Wow...

This has to be the record for oldest message dragged out of the archives
and responded to!
Your answer is almost 19 years late! I wonder if Alec is still looking
for an answer?

I wonder, teak oil generally has a warning on the container that
rags/clothes used to apply it/clean up can burst into flames.

I always soak such rags etc in water before disposal but I'm curious if
anyone has ever seen it happen?

Some years ago I had completed sanding the oak floor in my extension and
given it a good first coat of oil. I put all the used abrasives, dust
from the sander bags, oily rags etc in a bin liner and left it outside
the back door. a couple of nights later I was sitting at the kitchen
table reading the paper when I noticed a blazing fire just outside the
back door, with orange flames six foot in the air, which seemed to have
just appeared from nowhere.

The catalysts which are the drying agents in finishing oils will
generate some vigorous oxidisation in the right circumstances, and in my
case the combination of dust, oil, rags and the closed bag meant that it
got hot enough to really smoulder and once the outer bag melted and the
air got in - whoosh.

TW