Posted to uk.d-i-y
Nick Odell[_2_] Nick Odell[_2_] is offline

Default Formula for teak oil

On 19/12/2018 12:25, wrote:
Back in my High School days about 1973 my woodwork teacher told us about overpriced Teak Oil and gave us his recipe which worked well. I think I've also made it with PolyUrethane instead of Varnish though the project escapes me at the moment.

1/3 Boiled Linseed Oil
1/3 Varnish
1/3 Thinner

The problem I have now is in Southern Mexico I can not find Linseed Oil of any type. Nor Tung Oil. The only items I've found are coloring stains and Varnishes and Thinners. Also liquid poisons to treat against termites which are common and reason for Concrete houses and steel door frames.

Varnishes also seem to repel the termites

Tuesday, March 21, 2000 at 2:00:00 AM UTC-6, Alec Fry wrote:
Something I use quite a lot - and which always seems exorbitantly
expensive - is teak oil. I've often wondered if it's possible to make my
own, but I have never managed to discover the formula.

Recently I tried a mixture of 50% linseed oil and 50% white spirit which
seemed to work quite well. Does anyone know the "proper" formula, please - I
imagine there must be some sort of preservative or fungicide added.

Alec

¡Hola de Argentina! Well, not right now but I spend a lot of time in
Buenos Aires and find similar problems to you when I'm there. Where
abouts are you in Southern Mexico? A few years ago I caught a bus in
Ottawa, Canada and didn't stop catching buses until I reached Buenos
Aires, Argentina (we'll skip over Darien - I did) and spent a few very
pleasant days in the Southern Mexico border town of Tapachula.

It would be useful to have an idea of what sort of products you are
working with - for reasons of scale and practicality. In the mean time,
have you exhausted all possibilities on mercadolibre? Amazon USA ship to
Mexico and have a wide range of finishing materials available though
frankly, if getting goods delivered into Mexico from abroad is only half
as expensive and half as complicated as it is in Argentina then it's a
bloomin' nightmare.

If you can tell me more about your projects I'll see if I can come up
with some ideas.

Nick