Andrew

Default Building an Extension (Preparation Stage)

Dear All

I have posted questions before and had many good answers, also I hope I
have managed to help a few people with some answer of my own.
My latest problem is big though, and I expect will take many years to
complete.
Basically I plan to build an L shaped building round the back and one
side of my house.

One part of the L shape will be for non-living accommodation. It will in
fact go where many people have built garages.

The main part of the building will be right across the back of the house
and other part of the L shape, and will be used for living in.

I know I cannot expect every answer; I need to complete this building
from this newsgroup now (however help and interest from other will be
much appreciated as this project moves forward). What I am looking for
are reference points. Can any one name a good book for building
extensions to homes (in the UK) for the self builder/architect as I
intend to do all the work my self. Looked at quite a few books but none
of them seem to cover every thing. To be honest the building regulations
have proved most helpful so far.

Any other locations for information would be appreciated to for example
newsgroups specifically for self-builders or good websites.

I know I have a lot to think about and do. Before I really get started I
can already think of the following

Planning permissions

Building over drains which run the entire length of the street about 3-4
feet from the back door, so re re-routing the drains is not an option.

Definition of buildings. I know their are strict regulation for the
living quarters, and I intend to follow all regulations and add where I
think is appropriate. The section I have referred to as non-living
quarters, I am looking for the best definition for, as I know the
building regs are different for garages. What I would ideally like for
this section is a garage style build, but with out the extra fire
precautions, as I don’t won’t be able to park a car in the new building
as it will be too narrow. In this section of the building I could like
to maximise space and security, with the option of putting a combi
boiler in when the building is complete.

There are many many more considerations to consider as well

Finally has any one attempted something like this before, and had any
helpful experiences? Please don’t just reply with hire and architect and
builder with out some very very good reasons. I believe if I take this
project one step at a time and the length of time to complete this
project is not an issue then I can do this.

Many Thanks

Andrew

--
To reply via email, first reverse the address below then replace the
(at) with @ and the (dot) with .