Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default What outdoor switch

On 14/12/2018 12:45, charles wrote:
In article , John Rumm
wrote:
On 13/12/2018 13:47, charles wrote:
In article , RobH
wrote:
On 13/12/2018 12:21, Andy Burns wrote:
RobH wrote:

With both live wires in the com port and the 2 neutrals in the choc
block, the light does not work.

so the light did work when you put a plug direct on the black wire?

switch could be faulty ... but faulty switch as well as faulty LED,
unlucky?

unplug the orange cable and check it for damage.

check you've not got insulation trapped in the switch terminals
rather than good contact to the copper.

did anything go 'bang' at any previous stage? if so switch contacts
could be welded

No no bang , but I have found that the fuse had tripped in the box
inside the house.

I have checked the light works with a plug into the socket all the
way back to the switch end. Then when I put both lives into com and 2
neutrals into the choc block, it doesn't work. I checked the fuse
again and it didn't trip this time.

to ensure the incoming and out-going wires are making a proper
connection, twist the two conductors (the copper bits) together before
putting to tehchoc block or switch terminal.

Generally I am not a fan of twisting wires together - it just makes
disconnection for testing more difficult, and means you have to get all
the wires in the right place at the same time without any easy ability
to adjust their length or dress their position if required.

Obviously different people have different ideas. At my electrical workshop
course - admittedly 58 years ago, we were taught to twist. Mind you it was
3/029, 7/029 and 7/036 in those days, so probably different with solid
cable. But I still use stranded in conduit since it's more flexible.

Yup there is a distinction between stranded and solid core. There is
nothing wrong with twisting the individual ends of stranded wires to
consolidate the strands. There is perhaps some benefit in twisting
multiple standard wires together into a bigger bundle in some cases...

However twisting multiple solid cores together is less useful I find for
the reasons above, plus it also tends work harden the copper more and
make it more prone to breakage.

I suspect there is more emphasis on the ease of testing and inspection
now, that there was c. 60 years ago.

--
Cheers,

John.